Spell checking MT posts | September 3, 2003

As I mentioned in my Blogging from the SEO SkillSwap intro my spelling is pretty sloppy. Up until this point I've taken to writing my posts out in a text editor, spell checking them and then pasting them into MT. It works but is not very productive. However in the comments to my SkillSwap post, Oli mentioned an OSX application called Kung-Log which includes an spell checker. I've just downloaded a copy to try it out and on first impressions it looks really nice.

Kung-Log looks really handy for posting from home, but it isn't much use for posting on the go. What i really wanted was a spell checker for MT. I did some Google searching and came up with a possible suggestion. However it involves installing a couple of scripts and a perl module, all of which is probably a doodle, but still a bit of a pain. Further more however it involves changing the MT templates which I'm not really sure I can be bothered to do. So if anybody knows of another, simple MT spell check add on, please let me know.

In the mean time here are a couple of other MT posting application I found but haven't tried.

Posted at September 3, 2003 9:12 AM

Comments

jon hicks said on September 3, 2003 9:46 AM

I use NetNewsWire (the full version), which includes a great blog editor, to write all my blogs. It doesn’t have spell checking per se, but it will do the ‘check spelling as you type’ and underline words it thinks are wrong. You can also set up custom tags, which once done, can make marking up text really fast. I haven’t tried the others though, so can’t really offer comparisons.

JTG Mark said on September 3, 2003 12:30 PM

I didn’t try it yet. I’m going to do it this afternoon. I’ll keep you up-to-date.

Andy Budd said on September 3, 2003 5:31 PM

Cool, please do.

Ruben said on September 4, 2003 4:15 PM

Instead of relying on spell checkers, in my opinion a lot of people should just re-read their texts closely before hitting that awesome submit button. Or don’t you agree spell checking facilities are for lazy people? (I am lazy by the way, but there are some things I can do better than software ever could).

Kjell said on September 5, 2003 5:19 AM

You use mac OS X? If you browse with safari, there’s a built in spell check that automatically checks input fields. Try Edit > Spelling > Check spelling as you type.
I know this is a core cocoa function, and it wouldn’t have been a complicated thing to code into mozilla, but I’m not sure if it’s in either moz 1.4 or firebird.

Andy Budd said on September 5, 2003 9:34 PM

You know, I never knew you could do that. Very cool.

JTG Mark said on September 8, 2003 12:05 PM

Here we go Andy!
I’know, I’m a bit late. I’ve been out some days.

So, MTSpeling works well. At the moment, I’m using it on my web site . The only thing is that you’ve got to install a perl module and a program for unix (iSpell). But it’s easy.
Sometimes it tries to correct some word that’s undoubtedly right but that can be a part of another word. In the same way it tries to check “I’am” “Don’t” and so on responding with a “No suggestions” result.

That’s it! … Ah, last thing, if comments in input are a bit long it checks lot of words (obviously) producing many results’ rows.