Favicontastic! | November 24, 2003

Dan Rubin of Superfluous Banter contacted me last night to let me know he'd made me a favicon. Apparently my site was the only site in his regular reads not to have one so he very kindly knocked one up.

How nice is that!

[TIP: If you're a Safari user you'll need to shut it down and then go to ~/Library/Safari/Icons and delete the contents to be able to see the new favicon.]

Posted at November 24, 2003 10:43 PM

Comments

justin said on November 25, 2003 1:23 AM

That was very nice. And it is a very nice favicon indeed.

Scrivs said on November 25, 2003 3:51 AM

Must be nice to have fans :( back to my cave. I guess whitespace already has a default icon on every browser, since it is whitespace after all…

Egor Kloos said on November 25, 2003 12:46 PM

At last! And a nice one at that, there not hard to make but somehow they get left behind in the rush. It me 4 months to finaly make one for myself. Nice to have fellow webdudes keeping an eye out!

David said on November 25, 2003 6:38 PM

Heh… now it’s only hicksdesign and chokeSPEAK on my regular list without an icon. Just out of interest — I’ve never found out how to implement those. Obviously you create a 16×16 icon, but then what?

Dan R. said on November 25, 2003 7:29 PM

The secret to favorite icons:

After creating the icon (you can just save it as a 16px x 16px Windows BMP file, but for complete browser/platform compatibility I recommend using the free/donationware Photoshop Plugin from Telegraphics - http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#icoformat), you should save it/rename it as “favicon.ico”, and upload to the root HTTP directory of your web server (e.g. wherever your default index.html file resides).

For the most part, that’s all there is to it, since most browsers will auto-discover the icon. There is an extra step you can take, however, if you would rather name the file something other than “favicon.ico” (for instance, if you already have a default favorites icon for your site, but you want a sub-section of your site to have a different icon).

To accomplish this, just add the following in your markup, in the <head>:

<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”/favicon_alt.ico” />

I recall reading somewhere that this also helps some browsers “see” your favorites icon, but I can’t seem to locate the URL…

I might end up posting this on SB sometime for a more permanent record (though there are many write-ups to be found online)

Dan R. said on November 26, 2003 2:28 AM

BTW, you’re missing an “i” in the post title:

Favicontastc!

should be

Favicontastic!

At least, that’s what my mum would say ;-)

vcd said on November 26, 2003 8:53 AM

Cool! On bookmarks you are right above Hicksdesign. Your new favicon nicely compliments his.

btw, thanks for the safari users tip. Otherwise, I would be left in the dark…

Stephane said on November 26, 2003 3:56 PM

If you don’t want to delete ALL your favorite icons, you can also use the freeware Safari Icon Manager (http://homepage.mac.com/macg3/sim/).

Phillip said on November 30, 2003 8:18 PM

The type should be image/x-icon not image/ico.

Charles Stuart said on December 1, 2003 1:47 AM

making a favicon on a mac: