Vietnam and Cambodia Photos now up | November 22, 2003

Just to let you folks know that I've updated my Travel Photo Gallery with some pictures from my recent trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.

I'm interested to know which are peoples favourites and which people feel aren't strong enough to be in the gallery. At some stage I'd also like to put on a small local exhibition of maybe 10 pics, so I'd be interested to know which 10 people would choose to exhibit.

I hope you enjoy the pics and look forward to reading your comments.

I'm off to a photo exhibition up the road mow to see how the pro's do it.

Posted at November 22, 2003 1:45 PM

Comments

Bryce said on November 22, 2003 3:08 PM

Very impressive collection of photos.

Weakest:
The image with the small girl on the steps. (Shadow of photographer looks a bit ominous.)
Woman with conic hat. (Face is too dark.)
Girl with extended left arm.
Boy eating fruit next to boats.

Also, the Flash interface is nice.

David said on November 22, 2003 3:53 PM

Like the close-up of the text on the wall.

squaredeal said on November 22, 2003 5:25 PM

hey budd,

pictures are great, would love to see some source code of this application. pretty neat. xml generated it looks like. Anyway, keep up the good work.

skull kid said on November 22, 2003 9:04 PM

Hi

GREAT pics

KMB said on November 22, 2003 9:40 PM

Vietnam:
- the first one, with the half dog-like mask/sculpture
- little boy with the blue shirt
- grinning girl with earrings
- bored boy in the woods

Cambodia:
- the “birthday-party” with the old man (I like the hat in the right top corner - reminds me of Indiana Jones ;-)

Overall the quality of the pics is very good, but most of the motives are “overshot” (too often used for pics.

Some numbering or another way of differentiation would be nice…

Andy Budd said on November 24, 2003 8:32 AM

Cheers for the feedback so far.

Knowing which images are not as good as the others will really help me streamline down my galleries. Also it’s really useful to know which images (not just the new ones) people prefer. At some stage I hope to get some of these images enlarged and displayed somewhere so please keep the feedback coming in.

As to the gallery, at the moment all the image data is hard coded in the application as array data. There is no reason why it couldn’t be xml. In fact I was planning it to be xml but the programming was so complicated I got bored half ay through and just wanted it finished.

People seem to like the gallery engine and quite a few have asked for the code. However it was quite a pain to build and the code is a bit of a mess, so I’ve not plans to release it at the moment.

Allan W. said on November 25, 2003 9:22 PM

For those looking for some slideshow flash code:
Slideshow Component
This example has some nice v.6 prototypes for loading and such.

Also of note:
Easy Slideshow Component - I adapted this on my site to show my portfolio. It’s XML driven and quite powerful; however the author’s site seems to have disappeared so I don’t know what kind of support is out there. Seems to be a lot of users, though.

health ultimate hgh said on January 11, 2004 12:54 PM