Mostly Harmless | January 13, 2004

Not being Harry Knowles my humble little blog isn't known for it's insider movie news. However my boss, Jamie Freeman just happens to have a famous brother (Tim from BBC's "The Office") who just happens to have (allegedly) been offered the part of Arthur Dent in the up coming movie adaptation of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Now along with The Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers was one of my favourite books as a kid. The BBC TV series was entertaining, but I've long held out hope that they would make a movie version. Looks like they may finally be getting round to it.

The cast isn't fully set yet. Apart from Martin playing Arthur Dent, it looks likely that Bill Nighy will be playing Slartibartfast and Stephen Moore will be voicing Marvin, the Paranoid Android.

However this still leaves the parts of Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beeblebrox yet to be announced. As the funding for this movie is coming from the US, it's my guess that they'll want a big American name in the movie so as to promote it state side. Jeremy suggested Jonny Depp could play Zaphod, and after seeing his performance in Pirates of the Caribbean I'd agree it would be good casting. However I personally can't see that happening.

If you know the books, who do you think would make a good Zaphod or Ford?

Posted at January 13, 2004 7:41 PM

Comments

David House said on January 13, 2004 8:24 PM

Sounds like good film :) I love the hitchhikers guide

Ryan Parman said on January 13, 2004 8:37 PM

I’ve not yet had the opportunity to read it, but I like how 42 is the correct numberical answer to any question…

Andy Budd said on January 13, 2004 8:52 PM

Not the correct numerical answer to any question.

Just to this one

and what is * 7

Jon Hicks said on January 13, 2004 9:37 PM

Tim Freeman is ideal for the role of Arthur, its such good news.

My votes: Ford - Eddie Izzard , Zaphod - gotta be Johnny Depp (Now that the idea is in my head, I can’t get it out!)

Bill Bailey would’ve made a good Slartibartfast…

Andy Budd said on January 13, 2004 11:32 PM

Good call about Bill Bailey. I was thinking maybe Richard E Grant for Ford. I read somewhere that a couple of years ago Jim Carrey was interested in playing Zaphod.

Scrivs said on January 14, 2004 3:32 PM

I just wanted to say that I love the Hitchhiker’s series. Never got to see the original series. Any idea if I will be able to catch the new movie in the States?

Johan SahlÚn said on January 14, 2004 4:35 PM

Eddie Izzard as Ford, now that would be great!
Personally I’ve never formed a real image of Zaphod, I don’t know why, so it’s hard for me to try to imagine any given actor in the role. However, Johnny Depp is a master of bringing out the most of his characters, so he would probably be a good choice. Jim Carrey I’m not so sure about. His spectrum as an actor isn’t particularly wide (IMHO).

sergio said on January 14, 2004 6:33 PM

There’s strong support for Bruce Campbell for the Zaphod role in Slashdot. I’m joining that camp. I think he would rock as either Zaphod or Ford.

Cameron Adams said on January 15, 2004 4:15 AM

I definitely don’t want Jim Carrey touching anything I like. Johnny Depp … he’s a bit too dark to play Zaphod … not enough car salesman.

For some reason I want Bill Murray in on this somewhere, but I’m not sure an American accent goes down well in the Hitch Hiker’s Galaxy.

Stephen Fry gives me a HHGTG feeling, but … it’s hard to pin down a character. For me, not only do they have to represent the books, but they also have to represent the radio series (whose voices were absolutely PERFECT).

Robert Castelo said on January 15, 2004 11:06 AM

Johnny Depp as Zaphod?

Why not just get the real thing…

Keith Richards!

Rich said on January 15, 2004 4:14 PM

I’m with all those who vote Johnny Depp for Zaphod. How about John Cusack for Ford Prefect? Quite a straight actor, but with a quirky side (worked well in High Fidelity IMO).

Could we get John Malkovich in there somewhere, just for the hell of it?

Rob Winters said on January 16, 2004 11:04 PM