Blog Changes | February 4, 2004
Unlike most bloggers who are constantly tweaking their blogs, my site has remained largely unchanged since it started. As such, I decided it was about time to do some tweaking.
Firstly, I though my old Hicksesque flower icon had started to look a little plain, so replaced it with a slightly more candy like version. This has also been reflected in my favicon, although if you’re on Safari you’ll have to delete your icon cache to see any difference.
Quite liking this new icon, I created a little arrow icon as well. I’m using this in the archive section on the right hand side of my homepage. I thought all the links were starting to blend in too much, so am using these icons to distinguish the archive sub nav from the other links.
Also on the right hand side, I’ve slightly tightened up some of the spacing between links, and have moved some of the items around to better reflect their importance. I’d quite like to delete some of them as there is far too much happening in this area. However I can’t really decide which bits to remove.
My images were also looking a little flat and lifeless, so have added a Dunstanesque image style to pretty them up a bit.
Next I started reorganising my files/MT templates. Everything was a bit of a mess as essentially I grafted my blog on-top of the default MT templates and never got round to changing them. Most of the changes won’t be noticeable, although I have changed my archive page so it’s broken down by month or by category. Originally it was a full list of posts, which was fast becoming unusably long.
Lastly I installed the extremely useful MTW3CValidator plug-in. This little fella automatically validates my homepage when I make new posts, and if the page is valid, displays a button. Now I no longer have to worry about people moaning about having a validation button on a page with improperly encoded &’s.
Posted at February 4, 2004 8:35 PM