I Take it All Back | March 18, 2004

iPod miniWhen Apple announced the iPod mini, I was underwhelmed to say the least. I thought the colours looked a little tacky, and I really didn’t think there was a need for a smaller iPod. I mean, it’s not as thought the regular iPod has ever been described as bulky. My main complaint however, was the price point. For $50 more, you could get a “proper” iPod, and I really thought most people would just pay the extra cash to get something with much more space.

However, Pete got hold of one while he was in SF and I have to say, they are pretty cool. First off, they’re tiny. After seeing one in real life, I’m beginning to see the benefit of their size. They are so small, you can just keep it in your pocket permanently, and they are so light that you won’t notice it’s even there. No more walking around lopsided, with a pocket full of phones and mp3 players. Another cool feature which Pete pointed out, was the fact that you can transfer all the images on your digital camera direct to your iPod. No need for extra kit like the Belkin Media Reader. If you’ve got a digital camera like the EOS 300D, this would be a reason to get the iPod mini alone.

They are still a little pricey for the UK market, but if you happen to be in the states, you can pick them up for around ÔŅĹ125 (if they’ve not all sold out) which is a bargain. If they were that price in the UK, they would be literally flying off the shelves. suffice to say, I’ve added one to my wish list and have my fingers crossed that somebody out there will get me one for my birthday in a few days time.

Well, it was worth a try anyway :-)

Posted at March 18, 2004 2:39 PM

Comments

DarkBlue said on March 18, 2004 3:14 PM

Brushed aluminium is so damn sexy too - it would compliment my computer perfectly (http://tinyurl.com/3c3oc). I want one!

DarkBlue said on March 18, 2004 3:18 PM

Note to All: Don’t rush about to buy the iPod mini just yet… The 4th-generation iPod is on the way and, if the rumours are to be believed, it’s going to be a show-stopper! See: http://tinyurl.com/3eq7k

Derek said on March 18, 2004 3:24 PM

How you plug a camera directly into the iPod mini without the Belkin adapter? Does it have an extra USB port on it or something?

Sean said on March 18, 2004 4:19 PM

I agree with you on this one Andy. With the exception of HDD space, the mini is a superior device. The click wheel is a vast improvement over the scroll wheel of the iPod. The sensation of feeling the button depress is satisfying and tends to produce more consistent results. The aluminum skin feels tougher and doesn’t leave fingerprints like the chrome backing of the original pod.

My girl just got a mini and I’m more than a bit jealous.

Pete Barr-Watson said on March 18, 2004 9:24 PM

hey, actually, the images thing is slightly off Andy. What I was trying (after too many beers) to explain, was that inside there is a 4gb compact flash microdrive - there are a few tutorials that explain how to extract it - the drive, bought on it’s own, would run you about £400 I understand. That’s why there’s a lot of people buying the iPod Mini just to get the hd inside - and then use it in their camera (or whatever…)

It seems that there are a couple of non-Apple devices that use the same internals and cost less than the mini though…

That said, the mini rocks. I love it, and since i got it (two weeks ago now) I’ve used it more than I ever did with my 1st generation 5gb iPod. My music collection is pretty vast and I’m used to managing it manually already - so doing this with the mini is not an issue for me…

I can heartily recommend it… ;)

sara said on March 19, 2004 12:04 AM

the camera trick is actually this?

sara said on March 19, 2004 12:05 AM

whoops guess you can’t markup html. the camera trick is this?

simon said on March 19, 2004 12:29 AM

” Iíve added one to my wish list and have my fingers crossed that somebody out there will get me one for my birthday in a few days time.”

haha you are such a swine andy

Brad said on March 19, 2004 1:26 AM

I’ve been lurking around here for a bit and let me first say I love your site. The design is incredible. Anyway, on AppleInsider.com and MacRumors.com they are reporting rumors about 4th generation iPods having the ability to view pictures on their color LCD’s. Yeah…exactly!

click on my name to go to my site for more info.

Andrew said on March 20, 2004 9:40 PM

“Iíve added one to my wish list and have my fingers crossed that somebody out there will get me one for my birthday in a few days time.”

You sound like me Andy. I get my mini in a week or two right before my Spring Break and my 15 hour drive down to California.

stefan said on March 25, 2004 12:08 PM

“Note to All: Don’t rush about to buy the iPod mini just yet… The 4th-generation iPod is on the way”

Hate to break it to you, but of course the 4th-gen ipod is on it’s way…and so is the 5th, 6th and 7th…it’s all a matter of time. So if that (new models being developed) is of importance to you - making you unable to use what is sold right now, then you probably won’t be able to get and ipod for many many years, since they most certainly will continue developing over the next couple of years…

:-P