Bill Bailey | June 20, 2004

My brother was down visiting over the weekend, so I took him out to see Bill Bailey at the Brighton Dome. Bill Bailey is a UK comic best known for the Channel 4 series Black Books and his regular appearances on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. However it’s in his guise as a stand up comedian that he really excels.

Last time I saw him in Brighton was at Komedia a few years ago. This was before becoming well know on TV, and he was performing in front of a half full theatre of around 100 people. How times have changed. Tickets for his two night show at the 1800 seat capacity Dome were sold out weeks in advance, and it was only out of luck that I managed to pick up some returns the day before.

I’m really glad I managed to pick up the tickets as the show was excellent. Apart from a couple of parts, the show was completely new, and had me rolling around laughing for the full 2 hours. As well as being a hilariously funny stand-up, he’s also an extremely talented musician, something he uses to great effect in his show. He’s currently on a UK tour before heading up to Edinburgh for the festival. If you get a chance, you must go and see his show. However, if you do miss it, there will be a DVD coming out in Nov. Fore a chance to win a copy, visit the Bill Bailey page at Universal Pictures.

Posted at June 20, 2004 2:12 PM

Comments

Phil Wilson said on June 20, 2004 2:31 PM

Just how good was the BBC rave and the Bush mix? Great stuff. :)

Pete Asquith said on June 21, 2004 5:35 AM

Five or six years ago I saw him perform in Auckland, including his ’60s Belgian Jazz treatment of Doctor Who in French. Fantastic!

Tim said on June 21, 2004 1:23 PM

Andy,

I caught Bill’s gig in Bristol1 last week - as you say: absolutely hilarious, though I had heard some stuff before on the Bewilderness tour.

+1 on the old stuff. I’d have loved to hear Docteur Qui again. I have an MP3, though, so it’s not too bad.

[1] http://cgi.timandkathy.co.uk/blog/archives/2004/06/bill_bailey_live_at_the_colston_hall_bristol.php

Lee said on June 21, 2004 7:11 PM

I’ve not seen him live, but the Bewilderness vid is fantastic, I always remember the European police sirens. V Funny.

Michael said on June 22, 2004 8:13 PM

I saw Bill Bailey the other day at Newcastle Airport. It didn’t really surprise me that he looked exactly as he does on the telly: his hair swirming around while he was negotiating his offspring in a car seat through the departure hall, looking a bit confused and bewildered.

Stuartd said on June 23, 2004 1:42 AM