Underwater MP3 Player | June 10, 2004

p_mp3player1.jpg

I heard about this gadget the other day and thought it was a pretty cool idea. It's basically an mp3 player that you can use underwater. I do a lot of swimming so something like this could really make the time fly. What's more, this little gizmo is waterproof to 66m, which means you could even use it while diving. It's not something I'd choose to do often, but I imagine it could be quite mellow listening to music underwater (cue Jaws theme tune music jokes). However something like this would be great for tech divers who tend to go deep and need to spend a long time decompressing at shallower depths. Some divers can spend over an hour decompressing, so something like this would be great.

Posted at June 10, 2004 8:05 PM

Comments

Stew said on June 10, 2004 9:47 PM

I’d be a bit bothered about it exploding if I came up way to fast.

Also it could possibly be a distraction and would it attract unwanted animals?

Hans said on June 10, 2004 10:00 PM

Hmm… It inevtiable that this would be done. But what about some of us (excluding me) that really get in to the music they’re listening to— and forget about what they’re supposed to do? Ah well, the company probably printed 3 pages of warnings anyway.

Jennifer Grucza said on June 10, 2004 10:58 PM

Hmm, that could have been nice back when I was on a swim team - being able to listen to music during long boring distance sets.

I wonder how you would attach attach it to your suit…

Just Visiting said on June 11, 2004 9:12 PM

Wow. That comment preview is cool.

Yo Joe said on June 14, 2004 5:18 AM

I would love an Underwater Ghetto Blaster! Ohh can YOU imagine exlporing the possibilities of Underwater Dancin’!

AlastairC said on June 14, 2004 9:50 PM

Please post about it if you find a UK supplier, I wouldn’t mind one of those for windsurfing!

Andy Budd said on June 16, 2004 12:23 AM

Hey Alastair,

It probably wouldn’t make much difference in price getting it shipped over from the states than it would buying it in the UK. Definitely a cool gadget for all kinds of water sports.

Jay said on February 4, 2006 5:44 AM

I will never dive without tunes again. I love it. Acouple other mp3 players fit inside aswell. I don’t use the recommended one.

The main problem I’ve had is that it is one extra cable to get in the way.

It gets a lot of looks, some divers say they dive to get away and would never use one. I imagine that is what runners said when walkmans came around, now look. You can deal with change or change can deal with you.

J