Flexible Home Photography Studio | July 12, 2004

The cubelite setup

I saw this cool little set-up featured in Computer Arts Magazine and was really impressed. From reading the website and magazine review it's clear that the focus is on product photography. However I think it would also make a really good home photography set-up for taking still life and macro pictures. Currently I'm forced to use natural sunlight (which seems in short supply this summer) and using bits of paper as reflectors and backdrops. I've seen articles in books and magazines on how to set-up your own shooting table but it needs to live somewhere perninatly. This little set-up folds away neatly which is great if you don't happen to have an extra room that you can use as your studio.

Posted at July 12, 2004 9:13 AM

Comments

Adam said on July 12, 2004 11:04 AM

Did you enquire about a price? It certainly looks good to me but I hate giving my email out if I can avcid it and if you already had then…..

cheeky I know

tq said on July 12, 2004 12:14 PM

Adam

the price is detailed on their website - starts at £299 for the smallest kit

tq

Chris said on July 12, 2004 12:16 PM

Adam, pricing is on their website.

Product Description: 2ft Cubelite Kit.
Code: 3611.
SRP: £299.99 inc. VAT.

Product Description: 3ft Cubelite Kit.
Code: 3601.
SRP: £349.99 inc. VAT.

Product Description: 3ft Cubelite Kit (with removable back and base).
Code: 3612.
SRP: £379.99 inc. VAT.

Product Description: 4ft Cubelite Kit.
Code: 3613.
SRP: £399.99 inc. VAT.

Stefan said on July 12, 2004 3:41 PM

For a real lowbudget version I can recommend using IKEAs laundrybag “Jšll” which actually works really good for simpler product-photos and such: http://tinyurl.com/469b2
We even use it at work for smaller jobs.

And then you can get 500w ‘construction’-spotlights for around $15 (or if you have a good flash you don’t need that) - And tada! You got yourself a studio for the price of a dvd ;)

Kitta said on July 12, 2004 4:08 PM

Interesting, I really should pick up a copy of computer arts more often. I’m been looking into the best ways to photograph jewellery, I’m not sure if the Cubelite System would apply to Jewellery though.

rachael said on July 13, 2004 3:05 PM

wow. that’s a pretty nice setup. I also use the natural sunlight/bits of paper “studio”. Stefan’s Ikea laundry bag studio sounds great as well… and quite a bit more affordable.