Geekend at the Beach | August 17, 2004

Over the last few months I’ve been planning a little Bloggers get-together in Brighton, and last weekend it came to fruition. John and Dunstan came down on Friday evening, and I met up with them, Richard, Jeremy and Jessica at the Sidewinder: pub in Kemptown.

After a few drinks, and despite me and Jeremy being stuffed from our Office BBQ only hours before, we headed into town to get some sushi at Moshi-Moshi. The food was typically excellent and we spent ages chatting about this and that, to the extent that we were the last table to leave.

Being England, most pubs and bars close at 11pm. However a few bars have recently opened up in Brighton with late licences (late here means 2am). We decided to head for one of these, a place overlooking the pier, called Above Audio. We carried on drinking and chatting, eventually stumbling home around half two.

The next morning (well afternoon actually) we all met up for coffee at Frank-in-Steine’s and were joined by Patrick, Drew, Rachel and the loverly Bethany. We hung out here for a while, chatting and then went in search of food. Being 10 people - including a 7 year old - it proved a little tricky to find somewhere to eat. We eventually found some space at a cafe called Inside-out and settled in for some grub.

After lunch everybody headed off to do their own thing for a while. I went off with Patrick to grab a pint on the beach, passing inches by Keira Knightley without even realising. Although in my defence, with the likes of Cate Blanchett and Fatboy Slim living in Brighton, I’d be forgiven for missing the odd celeb. I chatted to Patrick for a while about various projects we each had on the go, and then we all met again at Bar de la Mer, one of Brighton’s many WiFi enabled Bars. We stopped there for a bit, chatting and enjoying the sun, before heading off to grab an early dinner at Krakatoa’s.

Krakatoa’s was a good laugh, with typically excellent food. We sat around on the floor, eating and chatting. Dunstan teaching us to fashion chopstick holders from their paper sleeves, and Bethany generally bouncing around and entertaining the table. Unfortunately Drew, Rachel and Bethany had to head back early, so I didn’t really get much of a chance to chat. We said out good-buys and then headed off for a drink. Patrick needed to catch the last train back at 10:30 so we went to Riki Tiks, a WiFi enabled bar close to the station. For pretty much the first time of the weekend, all the laptops came out, all varying shapes and sizes of iBook and powerbook. Not a PC in sight. Patrick headed off and we decided to head for a cocktail bar round the corner. A few cocktails latter, I was seriously struggling to stay awake, so called it an early night at about 1am.

Next morning John had to head off early, so Richard, Dunstan, Jeremy and Jessica all met up for brunch at Tallula’s tea rooms. We then headed off into town to wander round the shops. I’ve been meaning to get a mobile phone for ages, and finally got a Sony Ericsson K700i from Orange. I’ve also been meaning to get a new mountain bike so we went to the local bike shop to check out what they had. With Richard’s advice I think I’ve found the bike I want to buy, now I just have to wait till I get paid!

From here we split up and went our own ways for a while, meeting up again at 7:30 to catch the Sunday show at Komedia. As usual, it was a pretty good night at Komedia. The first two acts were of variable quality but the last act � Carey Marx � was absolutely superb. Very funny, very slick, and better than a lot of the comedy acts I saw at the Edinburgh Festival the week before.

And that was basically the end of our bloggers weekend. It was great fun meeting up with people like Drew, Rachel and Patrick for the first time, and it’s always good fun hanging out with John and Dunstan. There were a few others who had planned to come down but, for one reason or another, couldn’t make it, which was a shame. However I think there are plans afoot for a mass visit to SXSW next year, so hopefully we can all meet up there, not to mention meeting up with rest of you.

I can’t wait!

Posted at August 17, 2004 8:53 AM

Comments

Tim said on August 17, 2004 11:04 AM

Andy,

I’d be well up for going to SXSW, if I can get the money together. Otherwise I’ll just have to gatecrash Brighton :)

Pete Lambert said on August 17, 2004 11:47 AM

Good choice on the bike. A mate of mine just got the disc version for 419. A great bike for the money.

Robert Lofthouse said on August 17, 2004 1:15 PM

I wondered why all the UK bloggers went quiet over the weekend. Damn you all! I haven’t had time to work on getting my blog up and running, I feel so left out, damn you, you heathens!

Nice to know you all had a good time though :) (goes back to grumbling and working on a CMS).

Colly said on August 17, 2004 4:07 PM

Sounds like I missed a great, relaxed weekend Andy - and some great food. Thanks for the invite nonetheless. Definitely fancy a trip to SXSW next year…

Simon Jessey said on August 17, 2004 10:12 PM

Shame you couldn’t have waited for a few more weeks. I’m going to be in England (Surrey, actually) for a week in September (6th-12th) to visit family. Are there any significant events happening around that time?

entertainment news said on August 17, 2004 10:28 PM

Wow, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of bloggers actually meeting in real life.

Matt said on August 18, 2004 10:50 AM

Let’s all have a big meet up in London. That’d be good. And I am sure there are plenty of people willing to go…

David Barrett said on August 19, 2004 3:32 AM

If I ever go to SXSW, there are plans afoot to completely destroy the minds of the Mac heads.

MUHUHAHA

rich said on August 19, 2004 12:50 PM

As (sometimes) interestin as this site may be, i can’t help but feel that it’s completely self indulgent.

The only point of interest that I can see in the article I just read, was that the lovely miss Knightley was in Brighton. Otherwise, it was as dull as a primary school “my summer holiday was spent…” article.

Get over yourself!

Robert Lofthouse said on August 19, 2004 2:50 PM

Rich: Blogs have various purposes. Some people talk about code, some people talk about politics and some people actually talk about their life (how dare they). Blog is just another name for “journal” after all.

If you do not like the topics on this web site, then I suggest going somewhere else that tickles your fancy - though, most people have lives and most people want to share them with the world via blogs.

If Andy talked about design or development non-stop, I would most likely have to shoot him.

What would you talk about? The benefit of crc cards 24/7?

rich said on August 19, 2004 3:47 PM

Well defended Robert!

I do agree with you, on the whole, but can’t help feel that you are just jumping to the defence of the “leader” of this particular gang (ie. the budd blogography).

At the end of the day, it is still just like masturbating in public… it just so happens that you want a piece of that particular biscuit and, in the case of said article, i choose to pass - perhaps I’ll go get my own packet of digestives…

Robert Lofthouse said on August 19, 2004 6:51 PM

The correct collective noun would be “community” not “gang”. Also, there is no “leader” here, just a guy who writes entries in a journal that people happen to read. I defended him because I know he’s not up his own arse.

Also, maturbating publicly and biscuits should not be mentioned in the same paragraph.

I suggest you do get your own packet of digestives and settle down with some camomile tea.

Oh, and just for Andy:

“We are not worthy, we are not worthy”.

Andy Budd said on August 19, 2004 7:00 PM

Hi Rich,

I wrote that post for a number of reasons. First off I had a really good weekend and wanted to share that with people. This site usually revolves around design and development, but occasionally it’s nice to talk about other things, like having a fun weekend or going to the Edinburgh festival. I don’t do it very often, but it’s nice once in a while as it gives people a slightly better glimpse of who I am and what I get up to in my free time.

I Invited quite a few people down, and unfortunately around half couldn’t make it. I guess I could have emailed everybody to let them know how the weekend went, but as I’ve got a personal website I thought why not post the details there.

Lastly, I find it really useful to read other peoples reviews of bars, restaurants and clubs to get an idea if they are any good or not. I didn’t talk in great length about the places we went to, but I hope that somebody stumbling across my site looking for information on Moshi-Moshi Krakatoa or Komedia will get an idea that they are cool places to go to.

And yes, It probably was a bit of a self indulgent post, but I guess that’s one reason why people have blogs. They can write stuff that only they and a handful of other people will find interesting.

i&ta said on August 22, 2004 7:27 PM

And some of us would not have learned that bars and pubs close at 11 pm in England. 11 pm?! Actually, that sounds nice. Were my 20s filled with more ‘early-ended’ evenings, I’d not have pissed away my 30s trying to recover.