Wallpapers and Prints | August 2, 2004

I’ve had quite a few people ask if I could release some of my pics as wallpapers. I’m really glad you like them so much that you want them on your desktop. I’ve made a few for myself, and they really do look nice.

Desktop Screenshot

Unfortunately I’m loath to make them publicly available as I want to avoid my photos being used for website branding images and the such.

At the same time I’ve had a few people email me to ask if my pictures were for sale. I’ve had some enlarged, hand printed and mounted on MDF, and they look really smart. I’ve given a number of these away as presents and have been thinking about running an exhibition at a local gallery. However this process, while producing excellent results, is time consuming and expensive.

I’ve thought that it may be an idea to sell some digital prints instead. Because I can do them myself, they would be much cheaper than professional hand prints. Then, if you liked the image you could buy your own copy, scan it in and use it as a desktop. To do it properly I’d have to set up a site, which may be more hassle than it’s worth. As such I’d probably do it on an ad hoc basis to start.

So what do people think? Would you be interested in an Andy Budd print to hang on your wall? If so, leave me a comment and If people seem interested, I’ll have a look at the idea some more.

Posted at August 2, 2004 12:12 PM

Comments

Bart Claeys said on August 2, 2004 1:07 PM

You can save yourself a lot of hassle by outsourcing the job. Check out madmerch.com, they print, handle the payment and send your artwork to the client. The client can even choose the media type (gloss paper, canvas,…). I haven’t tried them out, but computerlove.net is using them already for some time. Success! Bart

Stew said on August 2, 2004 1:21 PM

I’d definatly be intrested in getting some Andy Budd work for my walls, got a few big gaping holes on the walls in my room perfect to be filled with some work =)

On the printing side of things, unless you do a really big print jsut do them yourself, you get much greater control over the quality and you could always sign the back of the photos =)

Bob said on August 2, 2004 1:39 PM

I’d be interested. You’ve got some great pieces.

scout said on August 2, 2004 2:38 PM

don’t take this the wrong way…i like your site and your pictures are nice but you’re clearly not a photographer. by you’re assuming that people all over the world are going to steal your photograhy feels a little self-important. most people would love it if some of their photography were “borrowed” just to get it out in the public space. and then to have this questionnaire about what we (the people) think you should do is even more chest-beating. what you should do is post 3-6 pictures that you like (and won’t cry about if they get “lifted) for people to download.

Seth Thomas Rasmussen said on August 2, 2004 3:12 PM

I’d be interested. :)

joe d. said on August 2, 2004 3:14 PM

Saying Andy is ‘clearly not a photographer’ is like saying the moon clearly is made of cheese.

Great idea, Andy. shutterfly.com also is a user-friendly third-party photo upload/purchase site. I’ve used them many times.

Greg said on August 2, 2004 4:24 PM

I prefer the definition of photographer that includes anyone who practices photography. I don’t recall Andy implying that he is a professional. I also think it’s pretty much a given, considering the sort of photos that he takes, that high-res versions would be lifted.

I’d love to own a few of my favorites. I hope you get enough interest Andy.

Jim Renaud said on August 2, 2004 4:36 PM

Scout, I thought your comment was mean and uncalled for.

The thing I don’t get is that if you think Andy asking us if there would be any interest is so self-important than why did you take the time to drop your load?

Be nice. Life is too short and Andy’s photos are too nice for negativity. I’d be interested in any way you’d like to distribute them.

Joshua Lurie-Terrell said on August 2, 2004 5:14 PM

This is why I pretty much release all of my photos with a CC license or just ask that people credit me. Since I started doing that through sites like sxc.hu, I’ve gotten maybe 2 dozen commercial clients out of it, a deal with a 3g phone software company to offer my images as phone backgrounds (and for which I am paid well) and lots of other credit and work. I advise you not to be too stingy with your creative work; it will come back to bite you in the ass.

Zara said on August 2, 2004 6:46 PM

I’d be interested as well. I really enjoy your photography and would definitely consider buying a photo to place on my wall.

Lee said on August 2, 2004 7:05 PM

Great idea, try www.photobox.co.uk

Jim Amos said on August 2, 2004 7:08 PM

I think you should send one of the moomin pics to the Tate gallery London, they need something fun in the modern section lol

Good luck with this.

Claus Jacobsen said on August 2, 2004 7:30 PM

Sorry to hear that Andy, but it is entirely Your choice and we have to respect that! (so I have to find som trolls and take some shots myself :) )
About the printing. You should try to see what the guys at www.braid.com do. I don’t really think it’s that expensive, and they might even be able to help you with some info on the procedures.

Joel said on August 2, 2004 8:14 PM

Regardless of whether or not Andy is a photographer, somehow he managed to take beautiful pictures (perhaps since he is not a photographer, with something other than a camera — wacom tablet, an iBook and the patience of a diety?) he still has produced pictures that I would love to buy.
;D

Marc said on August 2, 2004 11:08 PM

Scout’s right.
Post the flippin’ photos Andy and leave the MDF to the Changing Rooms team. :-)

Silus Grok said on August 5, 2004 1:15 AM

I would certainly be interested in your prints… for my home walls I’d certainly purchase a few (and I second Joe’s suggestion to outsource fulfillment); and I’d love to have a few for my desktop; but what most intrigues me is Joshua’s idea to release them to a stockist: sxc.hu is great, as is istockphoto.com both of whom I use for my stock photography needs at work.

: )

PS… You comment preview doesn’t seem to be working (IE 5x on Mac OS 9x): though my name did show up, the text of my comment did not. FWIW.