New Home | October 31, 2004

Some of you may have noticed a few odd little glitches on this site the last couple of days. Internal links going to strange looking URL’s, comments going missing and a broken bookmarks page. Well after my recent spam hassles I finally decided to bite the bullet and swap host.

My old hosts weren’t bad, but they weren’t particularly good either. Tech support was usually pretty fast, but this was soured by two major outages caused or prolonged by poor customer service. My main gripe however was cost. Hosting in the UK does seem to be more expensive that the US but $70 a month for hosting and 6GB bandwidth seemed a bit steep. I asked if they could use HTTP compression to cut down some of the bandwidth usage, but they obviously make their money from charging for extra bandwidth so said no.

So last weekend I finally decided to make the move and started moving my site to a new server. The first step was too install the latest version of Movable Type. I’d expected the move to be fairly simple but the combination of moving servers and upgrading MT caused a few more hassles than I’d expected. With MT installed I first tried simply doing a mySQL dump and then importing it into the new database. This worked surprisingly well, however something weird was going on because a number of the SQL dumps turned out to be incomplete. No matter how many times I tried or what settings I used, the data was always being truncated at the same point.

I decided to use a more manual approach and so started again from scratch inputting settings and templates into MT through the admin section and then using MT’s import/export function for the posts and comments. With all the settings correct and all the data inserted, I set about bug fixing. I believe MT has changed it’s plug-in architecture slightly so most of the bugs involved plug-ins not working. Thankfully many of the plug-ins I use have been re-written to work with MT3.x so I spent a good couple of hours downloading and installing the latest versions.

Things were now mostly working on the new server so I changed the DNS records on Tuesday morning and by Thursday evening the propagation had started to take effect. A couple of comments were lost in the process and I had a few emails from confused people thinking that I’d moderated their comments. There have been a few glitches, mostly involving links, but thanks to the eagle eyes of some of my readers, these have been cleared up pretty quickly. I’m sure there will still be the odd glitch crop up over the next few weeks, so please let me know if you spot any weirdness.

Posted at October 31, 2004 3:25 PM

Comments

Tom Coady said on October 31, 2004 6:31 PM

Sorry to use hijack your site to ask an MT question - I too moved servers and although the few blog entries remain intact I cannot remember my password or email address and after a lot of googling I have failed to discover a way to reset or reveal the MT password. I would be very grateful if anyone knows how to let me know, either here or off blog. Thanks.

brent said on November 1, 2004 4:50 PM

Tom,

If I remember correctly, MT has a password/email function. I have gone into the database and changed the email address for a user account to something that I know and used that to retrevie passwords.

Hope that helps…

Samuel Sidler said on November 1, 2004 11:56 PM

You didn’t mention which host you decided on, but Orystes (orystes.com) is a very reliable and surprisingly cheap host that I’ve been using for over a month now. $100/year (US) will get you 15 gig storage and 300 gig bandwidth. VERY cheap, from what I can tell. And, as I said, reliable.

The only major negative aspect is a clunky CPanel-based interface for managing it. But I hardly use the interface anyway.

Good luck with your host.

Tom Coady said on November 2, 2004 6:38 PM

Thanks Brett, that certainly makes sense. I only have a plesk interface AFAIK, and no phpmysql on purplecloud.net .. This is the wrong place to discuss this so I think I better stop while I’m still behind and ask elsewhere. Cheers.