G5 iMac on the Way | November 14, 2004

G5 iMac

So despite my initial reservation about the form factor of the new G5 iMac, the specs won me over. At the end of Oct I put in my order for a 17” 1.8GHz G5 iMac with Airport, Bluetooth and a 160GB hard drive. Checking out the status page it looks like delivery is set for sometime this week and I have to say I’m quite excited.

Posted at November 14, 2004 3:58 PM

Comments

Rob Mientjes said on November 14, 2004 4:31 PM

Ah, lucky you. I saw some movies of it and I must admit that it looks better dynamically than it does on the photos. But well, I’m biased - I want any Mac :P

Gilbert Lee said on November 14, 2004 5:47 PM

I got my iMac a week ago and it is a beautiful piece of machine, much better than the pictures. The simplicity of this model is mind blowing. What will they do next?

Here’s a picture of my iMac on my desk.

Gilbert Lee said on November 14, 2004 5:49 PM

Oops. Here’s the picture: http://www.plainsimple.org/archives/000066.html

Rob McMichael said on November 14, 2004 7:12 PM

Good move Andy, more and more apps seem to be working faster with the G5.

Your going to need to get at least 512 ram though, crucial.co.uk seem to do a good deal.

there are some photos of my mum’s here,

(1.jpg - 9.jpg)

Stephane said on November 14, 2004 7:27 PM

I just order mine yesterday with exactly the same spec, I don’t know how I can wait, I think I’ll play with my brand new iPod Photo ;-)

Andy Budd said on November 14, 2004 9:00 PM

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Crucial site this afternoon. I plan to buy a 1GB stick of RAM. Apple were charging £350 to upgrade from 256MB to a single 1GB DIMM, whereas I can get 1GB of RAM from Crucial for £165.

I’m looking forward to getting the new computer but I’m also a little bit apprehensive. I’m so used to using my G4 iMac with the screen as high up as possible, it’s going to feel a little weird using the new G5. I guess somebody needs to come up with a cool looking VESA arm.

Andy Budd said on November 14, 2004 9:06 PM

Until then I guess something like this or this would do the trick.

Rob McMichael said on November 14, 2004 11:33 PM

Or this :p

Those arms look good though, and with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse that thing would be quality.

If you are going to the mac expo in London I am sure there will be numerous swivel arms on display!

Rob McMichael said on November 14, 2004 11:35 PM

hmm your Textile is getting the better of me…

I meant Or this (Office chair) :)

seth said on November 15, 2004 4:02 AM

I’m getting so close to jumping the PC ship and buying a Mac.

They certainly look beautiful, but whenever I use one, it’s tough to see the benefits since I struggle with the unfamiliarity of the interface.

I’m trying to get a surplus G3 from my office so I can really spend some time on OS X.

I imagine once I’ve used it for a while, it will be difficult not to buy a new one with all the bells and whistles.

Enjoy yours!

Andy Budd said on November 15, 2004 9:09 AM

As it turns out, my new G5 iMac will only be shipping in a couple of days. As it’s got to travel all the way from China to Holland and then onto the UK by DHL, It may be some time before I actually see it :-(

Seth: Coming from a PC, the interface isn’t that confusing. It’s probably more confusing for people moving from OS9. You’ll learn your way around pretty quickly just from trial and error. However if you want to lean all the Mac keyboard shortcuts and ways to tweak the UI, then I’d invest in a good book.

Rob McMichael said on November 15, 2004 9:36 AM

When I got my powerbook I tracked it like a hawk, although once it got to Holland it stopped for a day or so, then suddenly appeared. I guess they were a little hazy over checking it out…

I came from a PC about a year ago Seth, was totally sorted in about a week and felt I knew everything in a month. Plus half the fun is learning a new OS :)

Nick Rigby said on November 15, 2004 10:10 AM

Hi Andy,

Good news on the G5. I’m going to London for the opening of the new Apple store this weekend, in the hope of finally picking up a Powerbook.

Will let you know how that goes!

Janne said on November 15, 2004 11:53 AM

Andy, do you know that ergonomic studies have shown that the optimal height for the monitor is that the top is at level of your eyes? By looking downwards at the display doesn’t strain your neck.

I personally prefer to keep monitors even lower. My current display, Samsung 181T, has unadjustable leg and you can’t get it to the table level. And when you can’t adjust the table, it gets really straining to look upwards. Being compact sized doesn’t help either.

I’ve lately bought only laptops and external monitors. Allows you to travel with your data and still have good working environment back home. Not maybe the most stylish approach, but works for me.

Mats said on November 15, 2004 7:39 PM

Andy,

I too succumbed to the allure of a clutter-free desktop ‘speed-demon’ (at least compared to my current set-up) and ordered a 20” version on the 20 Oct, and is hoping for delivery sometime this week. Been delayed once already.

Oh, and I got the 1GB RAM chip from Crucial for £150 all inclusive.

David Barrett said on November 16, 2004 4:27 AM

Yes, the G5 iMac is very nice.

I recently got a hold of an old G3 800 iBook for next-to-nothing. I must say, OSX is pretty nice (even if this is Jaguar and not Panther).

I have to pick up a 17” Powerbook now.