Asia Earthquake and Flood Appeal | December 29, 2004

People all over the world are waking up from their post Christmas stupor to face one of the largest natural disasters in recorded history. Currently the death toll stands at 60,000 and is steadily rising. The earthquake and resulting tsunami has decimated some of the most fragile and impoverished communities throughout the region. Communities that desperately need your help.

I’ve spent a number of years travelling through this part of the world and have visited many of the worst effected places. I’ve been to Banda Aceh several times and can’t believe the scale of the catastrophe afflicted on this already troubled region. I travelled to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the early 90’s and fell in love with this beautiful and exotic island chain. As well as large numbers of refugees, this archipelago is home to some of the most isolated and fragile tribal communities left in the world, and I fear greatly for these peoples survival.

I’ve personally lived and worked in Thailand, teaching diving on the Islands of Phuket and Ph-Phi. Koh Phi-Phi especially is a beautiful and magical island that occupies a special place in my heart. As such I can scarcely believe the destruction suffered by this tiny tropical paradise, and fear for the lives of the people I worked with during this time.

Due to the scale, severity and reach of this disaster, aid is greatly needed in the region. I ask that all of my readers donate what they can to one of the many disaster funds that have been set up. Here are a list of the major UK funds. If you know of any funds for other country’s, please add them to the comments.

Posted at December 29, 2004 11:27 AM

Comments

Matthew Pennell said on December 29, 2004 1:41 PM

The Disasters Emergency Commitee, acting as an umbrella group for the various British aid agencies, has set up a donation hotline with 600 lines open. They should be well-placed to decide how best to manage the money received from British donations - the number to call is 0870 60 60 900.

John Wilger said on December 29, 2004 6:33 PM

Amazon has set up the ability to donate to the American Red Cross’s efforts in this area via one-click from their home page.

Andy Mac said on December 29, 2004 9:08 PM

Just to add to Matthew’s comment, the Disasters Emergency Commitee also have a website where you can donate online. You can find it at http://dec.org.uk/

Sian said on December 30, 2004 12:18 AM

The Tsunami Help blog has also been launched:

Bob said on December 30, 2004 2:42 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a natural disaster as large as this-and I’m 46. What a horrible devastation has been wrought in just a blink of an eye.

I understand that the magnitude of this earthquake was so intense it literally caused the earth to wobble on it’s axis! Apparently it was compared to the force of over a million bombs.

It will take many years to rebuild from something this huge..

Bob

Kashyap said on December 30, 2004 12:19 PM

visit http://www.cybercom2000.com/html/tsunami-pictures.htm for useful information.

kashyap

Don Rorlach said on December 30, 2004 1:04 PM

For your german readers:
Ärzte ohne grenzen

Ruth said on January 3, 2005 8:01 PM

my website is taking donations for the people of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, which i will be taking over in February for a geological field season.