Top 5 Purchases of 2004 | January 17, 2005

I’m not a very materialistic person, spending most of my savings on holidays and adventures rather than the latest gadgets and gizmos. However this year I seem to have bought an unusual amount of stuff. At least that’s what my bank balance was telling me at the end of the year. Here are my top 5 favourite purchases of this year. Why not worship at the alter of consumerism with me and share your best buys of 2004 and what you’re looking forward to getting your hands on in 2005.

Posted at January 17, 2005 8:57 AM

Comments

Rob McMichael said on January 17, 2005 9:22 AM

In no order,

Xbox (chipped and installed with Xbox Media Centre ) - Means I can watch all my divix films and programs on the TV downstairs and listen to music and junk on the TV rather than a computer :)

KONG - My self named 250gig external hard drive, small enough to take around but has all my films and TV series on :)

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - A £30 game brings me so much joy. Yet another improvement on the last installment.

K700i - First non Nokia phone in ages and I love it. Bluetooth is great too. The free app bluephoneelite is awesome if anyone has a bluetooth enabled mac!

Diesel Jeans - Just so they arn’t all gadgets :p . Plus you can’t beat a good pair of jeans.

Peter J.Lambert said on January 17, 2005 10:32 AM

Wierdly similar to my 5:

*Broadband and WiFi
*G4 Powerbook
*Ipod 40GB
*”Merlin Malt 1 mountain bike”:http://www.merlincycles.co.uk
*Sony Ericsson T630

Peter J.Lambert said on January 17, 2005 11:14 AM

Well that Textile formatting looked lovely in the Comment Preview…

Paul K said on January 17, 2005 1:54 PM

So when are we going see some of your ‘jaunt in the mountains on bicycle’ pics Andy ?!

Rob said on January 17, 2005 1:56 PM

No particular order.
Xbox
Halo 2
mini cooper
Sony digital camera (cant remember the model number)
k700i

Tore said on January 17, 2005 2:31 PM

My house
Ford Focus
Cannondale F600
iPod 40Gb
New socks for the fist time in a couple of years.

Brian Behrend said on January 17, 2005 3:21 PM

In no order:

Samsung HL-P5085W 50” Widescreen HDTV
iPod mini
12” Powerbook
Sony Ericsson T610
HP Photosmart 945 digital camera

tripeak said on January 17, 2005 3:31 PM

You guys are thinking small…
I know we’re talking about something tangible, but these are mine;

1.$15 mil per annum.
2.3weeks Paid for 1st class vacations (every 3 months)
3.Every single electronic gadget (before it gets released)
4.VIP Access to EVERYTHING
5.Good Health ;-p

JD said on January 17, 2005 3:49 PM

I bought

And I want following for 2005

Let’s see how much I can manage. :)

JD

Colin Barnes said on January 17, 2005 4:19 PM

I didn’t buy too many large gadgets or anything, but here are my favs.

1. Powermac Dual 2.0ghz G5
2. Ericson T610
3. Xbox
4. Star Wars Trilogy Boxset
5. Toni Iommi Signature SG

The thing that will trump it all though, is the Mac Mini that I have on order - going to use it as a web and media server - got to wait unitl 21st of Feb for it though!! sort it out apple!

Ted said on January 17, 2005 6:38 PM

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster with Baseball interior. How could a web-designing queer guy go without one?
San Diego’s Chicken Pot Pie restaurant t-shirt. I don’t eat chicken but the shirt is pretty cool. Brown!
Electric tea kettle.
Sony laptop, I don’t remember the model, it’s light and sexy. I call her Severine from the movie Belle de Jour
Trumans Water Peel Sessions CD

Will Rickards said on January 17, 2005 9:53 PM

1. New Kitchen (I now have counter space, cabinets and a dishwasher!)
2. Tivo (everyone needs one of these)
3. WiFi Router (netgear)
4. Home Entertainment Center (furniture)
5. Broadvoice VoIP

Ben Saunders said on January 17, 2005 9:56 PM

Three bikes(!) - 1) Cannondale F1000 (mountain bike)
2) Cervelo P2K (triathlon bike)
3) Litespeed Antares (road bike)

4) 15” PowerBook (*why* have I been using a pc for so long?!)

and 5) a folding Bluetooth keyboard for my iPAQ (you feel like Tom Cruise in MI whenever you slide it open…)

James Bates said on January 17, 2005 10:03 PM

(1) Honda Civic Type R (In black, which living near Hove seafront means far too much washing!)
(2) 15” Powerbook
(3) Project Gotham Racing 2 (I know i’ve got Halo2 but -still PGR2 rocks!!)
(4) Buffalo wireless router
(5) 19” Flat screen (Finally ditched the CRT and my desk has alot more room on it!)

jordan said on January 18, 2005 3:44 AM

I bought a fair amount of things this past year, considering the fact that I hardly ever buy anything more than a bit of food. Here they are:

- Built myself a lovely PC (macs are too darn expensive… or they were at the time) for ~1000$USD
o 19” LCD (spent too much on this, I realised afterwards)
o Athlon 3500
o Radeon 9200SE (kinda crapy, but it was 45$ and does dual monitors)
o Router/WiFi card
- Paying for half the cost of internet access
- Bought a domain name

Hrm… looking at the list, it seems like I actually didn’t spend all that much. Then again, you’ve got to consider the fact that I earn less than 2000$ a year. :)

M2 said on January 18, 2005 9:30 PM

No new computers to report, but some favorite 2004 things anyway:
1. Witch Hunter Robin complete series. This is the only time my whole family has ever had the same favorite TV show.
2. Moleskine Pocket Diary
3. Orion telescope
4. Kodak 400UC. Fast print film that looks like Velvia 100F when scanned.
5. Elephant Heart Plum tree for our garden
I’ll try to buy something electrical for the list next year :-)

Adrian said on January 19, 2005 12:44 AM

1. New webhosting at a far better host
2. CD changer for my old car
3. My first Cell Phone
4. Bahco 12” adjustable wrench
5. LOTR extended directors cut trilogy

Janne said on January 19, 2005 7:29 AM

1. Viewsonic 30” display — excellent value for the money, can watch TV and DVD and use PlayStation and living room computer (sort of media station)
  2. Sony Vaio PCG-TR3 — very good ultraportable with all required gadgets
  3. Apple PowerBook 12” — stylish, but otherwise bit disappointing
  4. Nikon D70 — invaluable tool, only problem is grainy pictures in lowlight conditions
  5. Apple iPOD Photo 60G — so recent purchase that haven’t been able to listen a full song yet. No photos in, either. Will get everything in any century now

Andy Budd said on January 19, 2005 9:18 AM

Seems like a very techie list of items (with quite a few Apples thrown in there for good measure), but then again, what did I expect.

Tripeak: Great list. I’ll have two of everything on it.

Ben: Three bikes! That’s just greedy.

Jordan,: for that amount you could have got yourself a G5 iMac.

:-)

Ian said on January 19, 2005 11:18 AM

Phil said on January 24, 2005 11:02 AM

In 2004 I bought loads of stuff, but half of it went on eBay because I got bored with it. However, I did purchase a few quality gadgets, so here’s my list:

1) Takamine electro acoustic guitar
2) Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert
3) HP iPaq 2210
4) Nikon D70 digital SLR
5) Roku Soundbridge M1000

Weird how it seems we’re all into mountain biking!!

You can see my entire “2004 gadget review of the year” over at www.lowfidelity.co.uk

2005 looks like it’ll be another bumper year for gadgets. I’ve just ordered a Mac Mini, I got a Sony Ericsson k700i this weekend. I’m very much looking forward to the Sony PSP, and I quite fancy getting myself a road bike too. My bank balance is getting nervous as we speak…