Life Just Got a Little More Random | February 17, 2005

ipod shuffle

So while I was up in London over the weekend, I decided to treat myself to an iPod Shuffle. I’ve wanted a proper iPod for some time now, but could never justify the expense. The power of the iPod lies in the ability to carry your whole music collection around, allowing you to listen to what you want, when you want. They’d be a great gadget to take travelling, and my girlfriend used hers everyday when commuting to London. However with a 5 minute walk to work, an iPod would be wasted on me.

I’ve always thought it would be handy to have a little portable music player for those moments when you want to kill a bit of time, say on the odd trip up to London or down at the gym. The iPod shuffle is great for this as it’s random nature fits perfectly with my random usage patterns. If I was using it every day for long periods I’d want more control. But for occasional use, shuffle works perfectly.

However my main reason for getting an iPod Shuffle wasn’t to get an mp3 player, It was to get a new USB drive. I’ve previously owned two USB keyring drives and found them a realy handy way of moving files around. Unfortunately neither lasted very long so it was time to buy a new one. The iPod Shuffle turns about to be one of the most affordable USB drives around, with the extra bonus of doubling up as a great little mp3 player.

Posted at February 17, 2005 10:22 PM

Comments

Jeff Wheeler said on February 18, 2005 1:29 AM

Congratulations! With your photography skills, I expect some pretty pictures too.

Also, this post appears twice in your rss feeds.

Andrew Hume said on February 18, 2005 1:54 AM

Andy, that may have been the best advert for me to buy an ipod shuffle yet.

I very rarely listen to music (odd considering my profession) so whenever I do perhaps I too will be pleased with a bit of random trackage.

The fact it doubles as a USB drive is definitely worth considering, particularly at that price.

I think my trip to town tomorrow may well include a stroll up Regent Street. :)

Jeff said on February 18, 2005 4:27 AM

I love mine too. I had a first gen iPod, but all i would do is turn it on, and leave it on shuffle. Don’t like the song, Next!

So it’s pretty damn perfect in my opinion. Long battery life, easy to use, convieient, small, “neato” factor, USB HD, and more makes this great.

Only major drawback so far is “What song is this? Oh … damn.”

Ian said on February 18, 2005 7:54 AM

I’ve had my Shuffle for nealry a week now, and I still haven’t got used to how damn light and compact the thing is. Comparing it to the old 128mb flash drive I used to carry ‘round, it’s the same size, but way lighter - and prettier - and ten times the capacity - and it plays music - and it sounds great!

Mark said on February 18, 2005 8:35 AM

Be careful to avoid the temptation to plug it in any old USB port. Make sure it’s sheltered, I’d mistakenly been using the port on the front of my machine under my work-desk, yesterday I looked down to find the shuffle out, and the USB plug still in the port :S There’s a very small ribbon that connects these two and no way for me to reconnect it :(

Rob McMichael said on February 18, 2005 9:54 AM

I got one too Andy, I have an old 2Gen 10Gig ipod but its quite annoying having it in my pocket + I normally only listen to 5 albums at the max when I go anywhere.

So I got a shuffle and hang it round my neck like I did with my remote from the normal iPod :)

If you use smart playlists like me you can just sync it for what you feel like listening to.

R. Marie Cox said on February 18, 2005 2:36 PM

iPod Shuffle Tips & Tricks (via What Do I Know) basically repeats the owners manual at the beginning but points out some cool things as it progresses.

I have a 3rd gen 15G iPod but recently received an iPod Shuffle as a gift and it’s incredible how much more use I get out of the Shuffle. I take it everywhere not only because of its size but also b/c I’m not as worried about damaging the Shuffle — partially because it’s less expensive, partially because it’s less complex.

Martin S. said on February 20, 2005 4:31 AM

I don’t know why, but I don’t like the Ipod products from Apple. Well, they are quite beautiful, but every time I’ve tested any Ipod product it hasn’t fulfilled my expectations. I’d use any iRiver product. :)

kelet said on February 20, 2005 5:13 AM

I stored many music in my 15G ipod,but the only problem is that it can’t last for a long time …maybe only 6 hours or even shorter…I was that kind of person who sticks the earphone all day along,so could it play longer…?;]

Patricia said on February 22, 2005 4:29 PM

I love my Shuffle! Since I drive to work I have no need for a large format MP3 player. The Shuffle is perfect for around the office or taking a quick Metro ride downtown. Not having a display doesn’t bother me, I know the songs that are on it, don’t like the song coming up? Skip to the next one.