Pre-order Tiger Now | April 7, 2005

OS X 10.4 Tiger install disk

The Apple rumour sites are in overdrive at the moment, trying to guess when the new version of OS X – also known as Tiger – will be announced. The original guess was the 1st of April, but that came and went without incident. The current thinking is it will be announced mid April, possibly on the 18th.

If you’re planning to buy a copy of Tiger and would like to save a few bucks – $35 to be precise – you can pre-order your copy of Tiger from Amazon.com.

Posted at April 7, 2005 12:02 PM

Comments

Veerle Pieters said on April 7, 2005 12:30 PM

Really looking forward to Tiger. Too bad this coupon is US only again! On Amazon Europe there is no sign of Tiger so far. Bummer!

Andy Budd said on April 7, 2005 3:57 PM

Just went through the process and you’re right. It won’t let you proceed if you have an address not in the States. However I guess you could always ship it to a friend in the states and get them to forward it on to you.

Brent O'Connor said on April 7, 2005 4:33 PM

Thanks for the hat tip. I’m not sure if I want to pre-order yet. I’m not sure if I’ll even fork over the $94.99 bucks for it. I’ll probably wait and see if Apple gives any special deals and I’ll wait to see what others think of it first.

Scott said on April 7, 2005 7:09 PM

Getting a Mac mini or something else in the next little while might be worth it since they’ll include the “free upgrade to Tiger” if you bought a new computer within the last X days/weeks.

I’m really looking forward to Tiger, it’s going to be a great OS, certainly the best the Mac has seen IMHO.

paul haine said on April 7, 2005 7:15 PM

I’m about to dive into the Mac platform with an iBook (though I’m holding off for now as the rumour sites are saying they’re going to be updated soon), so all this is new to me - do Apple release service packs in the same way that Microsoft do? Is this Tiger thing the equivalent of moving from Windows 2k to Windows XP, or what? Judging from the Apple site it looks like it’s just a few new features, and nothing overly special…

Andy Budd said on April 7, 2005 9:04 PM

Hi Paul,

Apple consider each major increment (i.e. 10.1, 10.2 etc.) as a new version of the OS and one you have to pay for. There is no upgrade discount, so you have to pay full price whether it’s your first OS or if you’ve had all 4.

I personally find this extremely annoying and it seems like another way for Apple to wring that extra little bit of cash out of its user base. That being said, 10.4 does look like it’s got some interesting improvements and I’ll definitely be upgrading.

I guess you could say that it’s similar to moving from Win 2K to Win XP, although the changes probably aren’t that drastic.

As far as service packs and stuff go, OS X has a software update feature that lets you know when upgrades to your OS and other Apple products are available, so you never need worry about missing them.

Apple keep updating the OS through the life of the system, but these usually just fix bug, security problems and performance issues. They don’t usually add any extra features to your OS.

Nick Rigby said on April 8, 2005 8:51 AM

Tiger is looking pretty good. Wish I knew someone in America…..

Len said on April 8, 2005 3:57 PM

I just purchased an ibook last month. Does anybody know if Apple has an upgrade policy for newly purchased machines?

Russ Wittmann said on April 9, 2005 6:39 AM

I just purchased a mac mini (my kid wants one), and the order was cancelled and replace with a newer version due to ship on or before the 25th so my guess is it will have tiger preinstalled :)

I would pre-order tiger but I’ll wait to order the family pack since I have multiple mac’s

Andy Budd said on April 9, 2005 4:10 PM

If you’ve bough a new Mac shortly before they release a new OS, Apple will usually allow you to upgrade for free.

Ryan Latham said on April 14, 2005 12:07 AM

Yeah, I’m excited about the whole thing. I was going to buy a Mac last month, but post-poned it until this month when Tiger comes pre-installed on them. Not only am I going to be buying a Mac Mini at the end of this month/begininng of next; I will most likely end up buying a iBook, or PowerBook a month later.

I haven’t used Mac’s intensively since I had one about 7 years ago, so it is going to be a change of pace. Not to replace my PC, but nerds like me can’t stand having all this deskspace and only having one machine running.

And for those of you who are like me and live in the middle of nowhere, and want goods ASAP. BestBuy is now an authorized Apple retailer; which means they now carry more than just iPods. You can get Mac Mini’s there, but some of them you will have to special order other systems.

Good stuff.

P.J. Onori said on April 14, 2005 9:25 PM

Yeah, I was definitely impressed with some of the new little tools Apple offered up in Tiger. It’s also nice to see another browser move to tabbed browsing which will really do a lot to un-clutter my desktop.