My New D750 | August 29, 2005

After my little mobile phone usability dilemma I settled on a compromise. I wanted functionality and usability over style, but style was still very important to me. Rather than go for the gaudy orange W800, I noticed that T-Mobile had their own custom branded version, going under the name of the D750. While it was still nowhere near as nice visually as the K750, It had much more usable keyboard.

d750.jpg

I know some of you don’t like the K700 for various reasons. However I personally believe, form factor wise, It’s a brilliantly designed phone. I think it’s a real shame that mobile phone vendors remodel each time they upgrade a phones capabilities. I understand that they do this in order to differentiate models and make phone purchasing easier on the consumer. It would be a real pain for instance, if you went into your local mobile phone shop and all the phones looked the same. However I think it’s a shame that this enforced redesign means when they finally come up an ideal form factor, it’ll only last as long as the next technical advance.

Design should be about innovation, but more often than not, it’s purely about differentiation.

Posted at August 29, 2005 8:32 PM

Comments

Marko Samastur said on August 29, 2005 8:01 PM

Exactly my thoughts (although on a subject quite different than phones) ;-)

I’d much rather improve where I think it can and should be improved than change something for its own sake.

andr3 said on August 29, 2005 11:41 PM

So true.

It seems that design is like a joke. It can only happen once. If it is repeated, it looses its point. That’s why noone would ever buy a mobile with the design of a Nokia 3110 even if it had color screen, xhtml browser, bluetooth, etc. People become more demanding.. specially when it comes to aesthetics.

There are people who might be clueless about design concepts, but they’ll be able to tell whether a thing is pretty or not.

ian said on August 30, 2005 8:34 AM

the k700i had some functionality issues that really did my head in. thankfully they have fixed these in the k750i.

also the k700 (a nice phone) now looks a bit to ‘plasticy’ next to the more solid-looking k750..

Jens Meiert said on August 30, 2005 12:25 PM

Well, make a decision and stick with it! ;)

kevinn said on August 31, 2005 6:54 AM

Great buy! Andy, how do you like the photos the phone could do? They should be impressive!

The d750 is just a k750 inside a w800 housing w/o the w(h)acky orange. They should come out with a black version, or did they?

For me the k750’s keypad gives a wee bit shallow feedback. So… I’ll stucked with my s700 phone. ;)

Sian said on September 10, 2005 2:38 PM

If it’s anything like my s700i then I’m sure you’ll be happy. Only one thing bugs me with my s700i, not being able to take photo’s using the centre button.

Pete said on September 11, 2005 11:04 AM

Hi Andy,
I’m liking my new K750i which is very good (with it’s 2 mega pixel camera!)and easy to use. Looks great, feels great and man does it take an impressive (for what it is)picture…
Loving having video for the first time on a phone too.