Using the Sony Ericsson D750/K750/W800 on OS X | August 30, 2005

The Sony Ericsson D750 (also the K750 and W800) has a few small problems when using OS X. I’m sure these will be fixed pretty soon, but until then, here are the ways round them.

Firstly, my D750 came with a USB lead for connecting to my computer. Previously I had a USB charger lead, but this one allows you to browse the device as an external drive as well. The problem is, disconnecting causes a kernal panic which crashes your Mac. Not a good thing.

To get around this problem RazzFazz created a driver that shuts down unneeded services and prevents your Mac from crashing. So if you plan to use your USB lead, I’d recommend downloading and installing it now.

The next problem is Address Book integration. I used to connect to my K700 in Address Book via Bluetooth and send text messages all the time. Unfortunately this no longer works with my D750. Luckily there is an easy way around this.

You should now be able to send text messages, dial numbers etc. using bluetooth.

I got this tip from mobile.feisar.com but unfortunately you can’t direct link to the page.

Lastly, for the full Mac experience, you’ll want to use an OS X Tiger theme. There are plenty around, but I settled on the one from www.esato.com.

Posted at August 30, 2005 5:36 PM

Comments

Andy Gale said on August 31, 2005 10:57 AM

iSync 2.1 didn’t sync with my W800i even though the Apple website said it should. So I downloaded iSync again and re-installed it and it works fine now.

Perhaps they’ve just updated the file that you have edited above or perhaps they’ve changed something else, I don’t know. Might be worth an update anyway.

Adam said on August 31, 2005 10:07 PM

Hey Andy

Fancy that, I was just looking into the address book problem this evening and hadn’t found the neat little hack you’ve located. I’ll give it a go.

I’ve had my W800i for a couple of weeks now and I think its a great phone. I had the kernel panic problem too - now resolved - and the Tiger theme went in on day one :) After my last phone, a Nokia 6230, its a joy simply to be able to use iSync rather then managing my contacts manually.

Cheers
//A

mark s said on September 2, 2005 5:02 PM

version 3.0 of salling clicker is due out any time AFAIK. looks like it’s going to be a good one.

Kyle Cromie said on September 6, 2005 7:22 PM

Problems with iSync and my W800, dowloaded latest version from Apple with zero results… any other suggestions?

Ed said on September 10, 2005 1:06 PM

Re W800i/iSync: I was playing with my new phone and had put my contacts onto my powerbook. After doing many edits which included adding 2 numbers to one contact,I wiped the phone and resynced.

The phone did not display the contact with 2 numbers nor any entries after it (in alphabetical order). On a hunch I deleted one of the 2 numbers, wiped the phone and tried again, this time it was fine.

Will do some more experiments and report to SE and Apple as a bug if it looks like one.

Rick Hurst said on September 15, 2005 2:04 PM

It is worth p[ointing out that iSync 2.1 (with K750 support) is only available for Tiger Looks like i’m going to be foreced to ugrade now :-(

sopheak said on September 30, 2005 7:57 AM

how to use w800i as tv remote?what os w800i using?

Jam said on October 18, 2005 1:45 PM

I’ve had a W800i for a week and, having tried to sync my entire address book and managing to get half of it across, I deleted the contacts from the phone and started again with a smaller selection. However, now nothing will transfer to the phone although iSync still manages to find conflicts that need resolving. I’m very confused!

Jacob Sam-La Rose said on December 14, 2005 5:42 PM

Does anyone know how to fix the appointment shift error? The appointments in the calender in my D750 are an hour out when compared to the correct appointments in iCal… I’m figuring the issue might be fixed in a software update for the phone, but is there anyway of updating the phone from OSX?

Jasmine Gursu said on December 26, 2005 5:26 PM

I have just bought a w800i and was wondering in my ignorance how to get it to be recognized on my mac. I have tried to gain access to a mac usb driver for the phone but as yet can’t find one. Basically once its plugged into my computer, no icon is brought up on my desktop or hard drive. Are there any solutions?

Janine said on January 21, 2006 6:31 AM

hey I just want Mac to see my phone as a USB, but its not seeing it. I tried searching any missing drivers, but no info on the web. Please advise…

Steve Reeves said on January 28, 2006 5:41 AM

I have a slight variation on the appointment times jumping by one hour.

I am finding that “to dos” entered into iCal turn up as “Tasks” on the K750i (as expected) but one day later!!!

Anyone else seen this? And ideas etc? Thanks.

Tara M said on March 31, 2006 5:07 AM

I was/am also having the problem of no icon showing up on my desktop (Mac OS X 10.4.5, and an older version of the w800i firmware) when using the USB plug’n’play. I have been able to get the Mac to see the phone by turning off the phone, plugging in the USB and then turning the phone on.

I then get an ‘Untitled’ disc icon which I can browse. But the music folders don’t show up in the mssemc/media files folder. I suspect a firmware update will solve the problem.