Aeron Chair by Herman Miller | September 10, 2005

Aeron office chair

A few of weeks ago I talked about wanting an Aeron chair. Richard Rutter pointed out an auction on ebay and a couple of days later we are both the proud owners of new (well slightly used) Aerons. They really are very nice, providing an excellent combination of comfort and style. So if your in the market for a new chair, I can highly recommend them.

Posted at September 10, 2005 10:22 PM

Comments

Aaron Gustafson said on September 10, 2005 11:07 PM

That’s exactly how I got mine. The massive flood of Aerons onto eBay is probably the only benefit I got from the dot-com bust.

Dale Cruse said on September 10, 2005 11:18 PM

I’ve loved my Aeron for six years now. Welcome to the fold!

aj said on September 10, 2005 11:47 PM

I’ve been in the market for a real office chair for months now - I’ve been sitting on a horribly uncomfortable Ikea $10 side chair since I moved. I tried one of those $99 ergonomic kneeling chairs from Office Depot - and they’re fine for a while but become uncomfortable after long sessions. The cheapo models are not as comfy as the more-expensive versions with Tempur foam - it doesn’t really allow you to change posture either.

I thought about getting an Aeron - my biz partner has one in his home office - but eventually settled on a Humanscale Freedom chair, which should be arriving this week. (If it’s good enough for Bruce Sterling…it’s good enough for me.) I managed to find the basic chair (it’s also available with a self-adjusting headrest) in leather on eBay for a decent price.

For people considering the Aeron, be advised there are two basic models, one with limited adjustability which is cheaper, and one with more forward tilt control. There’s also a couple of different lumbar support options, the simplest being the clip-on lumbar pad and then there’s a more complex “wishbone” rigid support available separately.

Enjoy your chair - let me know how you like it after the first month, I need to buy another chair for my wife’s office…

Jeremy Jarvis said on September 11, 2005 12:04 AM

_couple of days later we are both the proud owners of new (well slightly used) Aerons. _

Same here, I checked out ebay after that post and bought an “as new” aeron from ergo friendly.
I’ve loving the tilt control at the moment.

Nazim Beltran said on September 11, 2005 9:46 AM

Way to go. I got mine three years ago due to the fact that our office spec it on an architectural project. Herman Miller gave us a 40 percent discount on it.
It’s the definite Rolls Royce of chair’s - a design classic which is the perfection of ergonomics.

Pat said on September 11, 2005 10:31 AM

Looks very comfortable. However, my funds don’t agree with a chair of that caliber.

And those of us with back problems are in trouble when it comes to chairs of any sort. I’ve found that a Ledragomma Pezzi-Gymnastic ball I bought through my physical therapist works quite well in maintaining natural posture without inviting pain (well, not as much as Chair X). Only it’s not so good for long sessions (regular breaks are needed) - on top of that, it’s essential for certain exercises - quite a steal at $40 US.

I would prefer one of Ledragomma’s balls with little legs to keep it from rolling away, but they’re hard to find outside of Europe.

Nick Tatt said on September 11, 2005 6:29 PM

Snap. Got mine in exactly the same way.

Given the time typically spent sitting at a desk it is well worth the extra investment.

A good alternative is Humanscales’ Freedom chair. Although not as flexible in its setup it is still a great chair to work from.

Jim Amos said on September 11, 2005 7:31 PM

Definitely nice to have. A couple of programmers here ‘borrowed’ some from the execs upstairs and got into trouble, because, alas, programmers are not allowed to have comfy chairs. I mean. it’s not as if we sit at our desks all day, bringing in millions of dollars of revenue (!)

bob said on September 11, 2005 11:00 PM

come on andy. i love most of your blog but the aeron chair posting (and the fact that you just got one) is barely news-worthy. This is 2005, not 1999. As for the other idiots posting a reply (myself included), isn’t there something else you can be doing like cleaning behind the couch or watching paint dry?

beth said on September 12, 2005 3:49 PM

We’re getting these at my work, I’m glad to hear they’re comfortable. However, does the unupholstered back ever create comfort issues after long stretches of sitting?

Dale Cruse said on September 12, 2005 10:56 PM

Beth: Trust me, you don’t want upholstery. With this pellicle mesh, your skin can actually breathe and there’s less sweating.

Barry Lynch said on September 13, 2005 8:29 PM

I’ve bought two (one for the wife and one for me) back when they first came out - 1996 or so. Still have them and they look and feel as good as new. Enjoy!

bob said on September 13, 2005 10:09 PM

beth. you’re incredible. if you need to ask all these questions about the most popular chair of the 21st century, then it’s a safe assumption that it’s off-brand for you. you should go to your local Ikea and pick up some $30 college love seat special..you probably won’t know the difference and save a bunch of money!

Geoffrey said on September 14, 2005 3:12 AM

I’ll second the NO vote on upholstery. I have a middle-of-the-road office chair at work, then I get to come home and relax in my own Aeron. The mesh is so much more comfortable and breathable.

neil said on September 17, 2005 3:06 AM

I used to really like the Aeron, but after working at an office where I sat on one for long periods of time, I realized it has a major flaw: the hard lip at the end of the seat cuts off the circulation to your legs.

When I decided it was time to pick up a new chair for my home office, I was initially lurked by the Aeron’s smart looks, but the idea of sitting in a chair that would put my legs to sleep after 5-6 hours wasn’t that attractive. After much research, I ended up getting a Steelcase Leap chair and I couldn’t be happier.

Unfortunately, they’re harder to find on eBay, but the price is worth it. We spend just as much time sitting down as we do using our computers, so it makes sense to not cut corners.

alicia said on September 23, 2005 3:17 PM

Hi, I’m in the US and I’m seeing eBay listings for small, medium, and large Aeron chairs. But when I check the Herman Miller site, I don’t see those size listings. Are the S-M-L chairs the cheaper model that aj mentioned?

Which model did you get, Andy? Any pointers on whether I should avoid those S-M-L models and if not how can I determine which size to get? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Clay Bridges said on October 23, 2005 9:17 PM

Alicia: You can’t avoid the S-M-L, those are the choices(they are respectively, the A, B, and C models). The Herman Miller site has a chart for which size you should get. Moreover, there is a cheaper (by $200 or so list) less-adjustable and a more expensive fully-adjustable version.

Jennifer said on January 31, 2006 10:18 PM

Coming from a design background and someone who has sat in both an Aeron and a Freedom chair, the Freedom is much more comfortable, much more intuitive, and is a much better chair for the money. Don’t waste money buying an Aeron just because everyone else did.