d.Construct 2005 Rundown | November 12, 2005

d.Construct turned out to be an excellent event and went off without a hitch. It was great to see so many friendly and familiar faces all assembled under one roof.

d.Construct 2005 audience

Stuart Langridge in the audience of d.Construct 2005

Just a shame that we couldn’t squeeze more people into the venue. Next year we definitely plan to find a slightly larger venue.

I spent most of the day running around with our new company digital SLR camera, snapping pictures of the speakers and attendees.

Tom Hume speaking

d.Construct 2005 audience

You can see the results in my d.Construct 2005 photoset and the larger, d.Construct 2005 flickr group. If you are featured in any of these photos, feel free to add a note or comment to let everybody know who you were.

We had a fantastic line up of speakers who gave some great presentations.

Aral Balkan giving his presentation

Simon Willison giving his presentation

Here is a list of all the presentations and I’ll link to the presentation notes (where available) as soon as they become availible.

A lot of people live blogged the event as well as taking collaborative notes using SubEthaEdit.

Powerbooks at d.Construct 2005

Blogging at d.Construct 2005

And here is a list of links to some of the more comprehensive posts.

For a wider overview have a look at technorati or Gareth Rushgroves excellent d.Construct feed agregator.

If you attended d.Construct 2005, I’d love to hear your feedback, both good and bad.

[Updated: New slides and notes added ]

Posted at November 12, 2005 6:00 PM

Comments

Andy Field said on November 12, 2005 7:01 PM

Nice one guys - here’s to d.Construct 2006!

Jacob Bøtter said on November 12, 2005 7:22 PM

The images are not showing up in Bloglines for some reason.

Ben said on November 12, 2005 9:39 PM

Fantastic event Andy; congratulations to you, Richard, the speakers and all those behind the scenes who’ve remained anonymous.

It was nice to finally spend some proper time chatting with you (and drinking heartily, of course), we didn’t get much chance at @media.

The content was excellent: Everything was had a nice ‘specific’ edge to it that made them all the more interesting. I’ll try and articulate that better when I blog it.

Excellent day, congratulations again.

Andy Hume said on November 13, 2005 1:04 AM

Any news on the podcasts?

I need to work out what Cory was talking about! ;)

Abdelrahman Osama said on November 13, 2005 5:07 AM

Really really nice I finally know what is Web 2.0 now, and Stuart’s presentation was great too.

Thanks.

Faruk Ateş said on November 13, 2005 6:24 PM

That’s some seriously excellent pictures, Andy. Makin’ me want to get a better camera myself (esp. a better flash, I reckon).

I’m working on my report now, I’ll let you know once it’s done.

Tim Beadle said on November 13, 2005 8:40 PM

Andy,

Thanks for organising the event on Friday. I had an informative and enjoyable day, with plenty of thought-provoking stuff to take back to the office :)

Looking forward to next year. It’ll be even more popular than this year, no doubt, but I hope d.Construct doesn’t grow too big - Friday had a great balance to it.

Andy Saxton said on November 13, 2005 10:59 PM

A big thanks to yourself and the rest of the speakers for a great day.

Thanks for the advice on the Apple laptop too. Should be getting a shiny new one in a week or so!

Looking forward to next year already.

Faruk Ateş said on November 13, 2005 11:00 PM

My first session report is online: What is Web 2.0, by Andy Budd

The full liveblog is online now, as well, rather than only the first half. Okay, so “liveblog” doesn’t quite apply anymore, but so be it.

Les said on November 13, 2005 11:12 PM

Thanks for getting this one arranged Andy, there was a lot of very useful information presented.

Thumbs up to Stuart L - proper entertaining and informative presentation, and thanks to Simon and Aral for firing off all kinds of ideas in the grey matter.

I look forward to next year (will it be web 3.0?? :0))

Stuart said on November 14, 2005 1:36 PM

Thanks for putting d.Construct together - I’ve come away brimming with inspiration and ideas which is how it should be.

If I have any feedback it would be to ask if you can get more comfy seats in next time, and power on every chair so I don’t have to buy more batteries for my laptop. ; )

Something like this should do it

Dave HS said on November 14, 2005 10:50 PM

Hear, hear!

d.Construct rocked my box.

Lots of exciting ideas to take home and consider, excellent level of detail (not too simple, not over-complicated) and so many top people to boot.

La-Z-boys for next time would be great (however they might affect the superb ticket price).

Well done Clearleft!

Professional web design Specialist said on November 16, 2005 7:51 AM

oh great! looks like its a blast and informative. i wish sometime i would attend on events like that.;)

Zach said on November 16, 2005 12:01 PM

Well done. Was a good event.

Ben Saunders said on November 17, 2005 7:30 PM

Congratulations, Andy - it sounds like it was a huge success. Sorry I couldn’t be there this time around…

Chris Renner said on November 18, 2005 1:17 PM

Wow! Dave Matthews was at d.Construct!?! (first picture)

Chris Renner said on November 18, 2005 1:19 PM

Well, maybe only a slight resemblance.

Andy Budd said on November 18, 2005 9:39 PM

Real shame you couldn’t make it Ben. Hopefully you’ll be there next year.

Rodrigo Amorim said on November 24, 2005 2:41 PM

Well done Andy and ClearLeft folks. Very good event, and excellent introduction to Web 2.0 for a very out-of-date web designer like myself! I’m hoping to apply all these experiences and be able to dive into XML, AJAX and JavaScript soon. You guys are an inspiration! Shame Jeremy Keith wasn’t there in person, as I wasn’t able to get an autograph for my recent purchase, his excellent new book on DOM scripting.
All the best, Rodrigo.