CSS Mastery - Coming Soon | December 13, 2005

As some of you may already know, I’ve spent the last 9 months writing my very first CSS book. Like most new authors, I think I heavily underestimated the shear amount of work that goes into writing a book. Consequently I’ve had little time for socialising, blogging or anything else for that matter. Luckily I’ve had some great help in putting this book together, most notably from Cameron Moll and Simon Collison for their fantastic case study chapters, and Molly Holzschlag for technical editing and general all-round support.

I’m pleased to say that as of Friday morning I sent my final chapter to production, so the book is now officially written. I got the pdf of my cover design back from the publishers this morning. I’ve made a few last minute tweaks, but essentially, if you see something that looks like this in bookstores on the 13th of February, I’d highly recommend picking up a copy.

css-mastery-big.jpg

To whet your interest, here is the blurb from the back cover.

This book is your indispensable guide to cutting-edge CSS development—all you need to work your way up to being a CSS professional.

While CSS is a relatively simple technology to learn, it is a difficult one to master. When you first start developing sites using CSS, you will come across all kinds of infuriating browser bugs and inconsistencies. It sometimes feels like there are a million and one different techniques to master, spread across a bewildering array of websites. The range of possibilities seems endless and makes for a steep and daunting learning curve.

By bringing all of the latest tips, tricks, and techniques together in one handy reference, this book demystifies the secrets of CSS and makes the journey to CSS mastery as simple and painless as possible. While most books concentrate on basic skills, this one is different, assuming that you already know the basics, and why you should be using CSS in your work, and concentrating mainly on advanced techniques.

It begins with a brief recap of CSS fundamentals such as the importance of meaningful markup, how to structure and maintain your code, and how the CSS layout model really works.

With the basics out of the way, each subsequent chapter details a particular aspect of CSS-based design. Through a series of easy-to-follow tutorials, you will learn practical CSS techniques you can immediately start using in your daily work. Browser inconsistencies are the thorn in most CSS developers’ sides, so we have dedicated two whole chapters to CSS hacks, filters, and bug fixing, as well as looking at image replacement, professional link, form, and list styling, pure CSS layouts, and much more.

All of these techniques are then put into practice in two beautifully designed case studies, written by two of the world’s best CSS designers, Simon Collison and Cameron Moll.

Coming Soon to a bookstore near you!

Posted at December 13, 2005 11:56 AM

Comments

Ben said on December 13, 2005 1:29 PM

It will fit into my CSS library very well. Thanks a lot Andy!

Petros Dimitriadis said on December 13, 2005 1:43 PM

Good luck, the cover looks realy nice I am sure the content as well.

Justin Thorp said on December 13, 2005 2:00 PM

Hey Andy,

Your book sounds great. I like how your also including some more advanced techniques. I am more advanced with CSS. It seems like most CSS books are written for people who want to learn how to build a simple CSS web site and not people who want to master it. I want to learn how to master it. I look forward to reading your book.

Thanks,
Justin

Emma said on December 13, 2005 2:27 PM

Nice one, it’s been on my Amazon wishlist for a while now. Good to know I’ll be able to buy it soon.

Eoghan O'Brien said on December 13, 2005 3:21 PM

Hey Andy,
I’m looking forward to the release of your book. I’d like to see if theres a lot in there I dont know already, it might just give me the kick in ass I need.

John Labriola said on December 13, 2005 3:25 PM

Can’t wait! Haven’t really been to satisfied with the market of Advanced CSS books out there so far. But I look forward to this!

James AkaXakA said on December 13, 2005 3:37 PM

At least it’ll stand out ;)

Andy Budd said on December 13, 2005 4:00 PM

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far.

Here is some more blurb about the book to give you a better idea of it’s level and content.

CSS Mastery is aimed at anybody with a basic knowledge of (X)HTML and CSS. If you have just recently dipped your toes into the world of CSS design, or if you’ve been developing pure CSS sites for years, there will be something in this book for you. However you will get the most out of this book if you have been using CSS for a while but don’t consider yourself a master just yet. This book is packed full of practical, real world advice and examples, to help you master modern CSS design.

Martin Smales said on December 13, 2005 4:59 PM

I like the sound of this book. I am not sure if it will even cover attribute selectors, but who cares, it’s now on my book wishlist anyway :)

P.S. Why isn’t the email address marked as a required field like the name field?

Jessey White-Cinis said on December 13, 2005 6:14 PM

Congratulations Andy! I can’t wait to read the book. I hope that all is well in Brighton. Take care.

Nathan Smith said on December 13, 2005 7:00 PM

Right on, I’ve already requested my review copy from Friends of ED, and am looking foward to reading it and tearing it up singing its praises!

Nathan Smith said on December 13, 2005 7:01 PM

Oops, my strike-through didn’t work, for “tearing it up” in the previous comment. Poor attempt at humor. :)

Dave S. said on December 13, 2005 8:03 PM

Congrats for simply surviving the book-writing process! That’s a huge accomplishment. Best of luck.

Cameron Moll said on December 13, 2005 8:40 PM

Woohoo!

Ben Hirsch said on December 13, 2005 9:04 PM

Congrats on the book Andy! I will pick up a copy.

Colly said on December 13, 2005 9:19 PM

“Woo-hoo!” indeed, Cameron. I wanna see one now, I wanna…

John Lampard said on December 14, 2005 12:54 AM

Congratulations! Hopefully the book will make it to a few bookshops in Australia!

Ian Lloyd said on December 14, 2005 9:06 AM

It’s a great feeling isn’t it? Submitting the last chapter. I’m 99% done on the book I’ve been working on since early in the year (for SitePoint). All that’s left is a rewrite of the appendix which will not be the nicest of jobs but at least I know that’ll be the absolute last part. I can’t wait to see what the cover looks like and hope that people find it a useful addition to the current stock of books (note: it’s not an accessibility book, nor is it aimed at people who know a bit about web design already - in fact, it does everything that I ranted about in this post here). When we all head to SXSW, it looks like the britpack will all be packin’ - books, that is! For now, though, I’m just glad it’s all over! Congrats Andy - looking forward to checking out the book soon :-)

Richard Stephenson said on December 14, 2005 2:38 PM

Best of luck with the book Andy. I will definitely be picking up a copy to remind myself of everything you told us in your CSS training course! Now you can get on with the rest of your life…

Alun Rowe said on December 14, 2005 3:26 PM

Well done Andy!

If it’s as good as the course then I’ll definitely need a copy.
Can’t wait to embarass you by getting you to sign it ;)

Cameron Adams said on December 15, 2005 3:51 AM

Ahhhh … the final word on the final page of your final writing day. It’s a great feeling isn’t it Andy?

I just finished editing my JavaScript book on Wednesday. Now … some sleep.

Geert Leyseele said on December 15, 2005 2:29 PM

Good work Andy!

Looking forward to reading it.

Weiran said on December 15, 2005 10:06 PM

Is this gonna appear on Amazon UK or any UK bookstores soon?

Ilkka Harmanen said on December 16, 2005 6:25 AM

Splendid, I’m really looking forward to this book! Unfortunately I need to give an presentation about common CSS pitfalls and techniques just after the christmas. Now I’m fairly familiar with the quirks of CSS, but it is often wise to base you presentation on the printed word :-) I will surely be quoting you the next time, but for now I’d be pleased if someone could give me a second best option. Is there any?

Andy Budd said on December 16, 2005 2:30 PM

Hi Weiran,

The book is already available for pre-order on Amazon. Just click on the image of the book cover in this post, or on the sidebar.

Fernando Lins said on December 18, 2005 8:53 PM

Hey Andy, congrats on your book. I plan on writing one soon. Not about CSS though. Anyway, If may I ask, when did you decide you knew enough to write a book on the subject? How did you know you were a master on it?

Steffen Fiedler said on December 19, 2005 10:37 PM

Sounds great, what about the price? Student you know :/

Jem said on December 20, 2005 2:03 PM

I’ve spent quite a lot of money on various CSS/standards books by various well-known authors (Zeldman, Meyer, etc) only to have been disappointed because the books only cover ‘stuff’ that I already know; information that is freely available on the Internet. Is your book going to be any different? Is it going to let us in on any little-known secrets or turn is into famous CSS-using designers overnight? ;)

Best wishes with the book. :) I’m sure it’ll be a big success.

Ben Logan said on December 20, 2005 7:58 PM

Hi Andy
Great stuff!

Really pleased to see you have put all your hard work into a book we can all benefit from. Definately will be buying a copy

Andy Budd said on December 21, 2005 9:43 PM

I dunno Jem,

Tell me everything you know and I’ll tell you if anything different is covered :-)

Custom Web Design said on December 22, 2005 1:15 PM

I have to have this book.It will be great guide.

Nick Wilsdon said on January 5, 2006 6:17 PM

Well Done Andy!

I’ll be picking up a copy - Amazon get books out here to me in Russia. Well on the 2nd or 3rd posting anyway ;)