CSS Mastery Sample Chapter | January 29, 2006

My new book, CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions hits the shelves on the 13th of February. However you don’t need to wait that long to get a glimpse inside. Simply visit the new support site at www.cssmastery.com and you can download a sample chapter and table of contents absolutely free.

Screenshot of cssmastery.com

Happy reading.

Posted at January 29, 2006 9:06 PM

Comments

Nik said on January 29, 2006 10:52 PM

Sorry, but just blank PDF’s show up when I click on the links. Is this just me, or is this the same for everyone else?

paul haine said on January 29, 2006 11:10 PM

Nik, the PDFs are loading fine for me. Nice work, Andy.

Ryan Cavicchioni said on January 29, 2006 11:11 PM

I cannot wait! I think that I will preorder it when I get paid next week. I like what I see so far.

Andy Budd said on January 29, 2006 11:18 PM

Hi Nik,

I’ve check the downloads and they work fine for me so it’s probably worth trying again.

Simon Willison said on January 30, 2006 12:01 AM

I just read through the sample chapter and it looks like the book will be a must-have. Great pace and style - lots of good information packed in to a small space without it feeling crowded, and I particularly appreciated all the little asides as to why a certain decision was made. I can’t wait to get my hands on the real thing!

Dave said on January 30, 2006 12:58 AM

I was just looking for this last night. I checked with Amazon and they still hadn’t published a date. I settled for Cederholm’s book instead. :P

Be a little quicker next time, eh?

Nik said on January 30, 2006 1:02 AM

Yea sorry, they were functioning, it was just that the filter at work blocked the whole thing, thinking it was an advert. Back at home and works fine, thanks alot for this. I am definatly ordering a copy!

Chris Neale said on January 30, 2006 8:47 AM

Nitpick:

p 152 ‘… responsiblhy.’

Might just be the sample chapter I need …

I always get bitten by layout.

Andy Budd said on January 30, 2006 11:15 AM

No matter how may times your work is checked, and by how many people, the odd typo will always slip through. Thanks for spotting it as I’ve now added it to the errata. If anybody spots any other typos, please feel free to email them to me and I’ll get them fixed. Cheers.

Barry Bloye said on January 30, 2006 12:01 PM

Looks like another essential purchase for ‘work’. ;)

I reckon it’ll fill an important (and growing) niche not covered by existing references or beginners’ guides.

The stuff on layout will be particularly useful to a lot of people, as it’s definitely one of the trickier aspects of CSS and a barrier to people ‘making the jump’.

Mike Ward said on January 30, 2006 3:28 PM

Well Andy, I was going to write to you offline and ask how your book was going to add anything to what I have already learned from the eight CSS and the four web standards books I have already purchased and read, but after reading the sample chapter I will just shutup and buy your book. After just a quick read, a few things in that chapter were either new to me or handled better than I had seen in other references. Great job! Looking forward to reading the whole thing. Think you can post it all so I don’t have to wait? ;)

Mike Ward said on January 30, 2006 6:21 PM

And maybe something else for the errata… on your acknowledgements page you refer to “Jason Andrew Andrew Santa Maria,,”. Is that right?

Andy Budd said on January 30, 2006 7:39 PM

“Jason Andrew Andrew Santa Maria” is correct but there shouldn’t be two commas. Cheers.

Shaun Shull said on January 31, 2006 3:38 AM

I’m looking forward to the book releasing. I have had it in my amazon pre-order for a couple months now. Congratz on the upcoming release!

Geert Leyseele said on January 31, 2006 12:58 PM

Congratz on the book, I just downloaded the PDF and it looks very promising. I will have to make some time for reading this book and a few others that are already on shelf ;-)

Ilkka Harmanen said on January 31, 2006 11:19 PM

I read the chapter on a bus after work. Forehand I wondered if the book could be useful to me, could it teach me anything? After reading the chapter I’m certain that at least the company I’m working for will find few copies in its bookshelves, and if the rest of the book is same quality as chapeter 7 is, it’s definetly going to find a place in my self too! Thanks Andy

James Wragg said on February 1, 2006 1:00 PM

“Nathan Barley” LOL!

Andy Budd said on February 1, 2006 5:56 PM

Us self actuating new media nodes gotta stick together :-)

Northshore said on February 3, 2006 2:07 PM

Just wondering out loud really - after going through the excellent taster chapter - and then seeing the breakdown of how IE7 is affecting some sites (most noticeably Malarkey’s) do you wish you’d held off until you’d had a chance to got through IE7 or think there’s anything in the book that is going to need a major rewrite as a result of it? Just curious more than anything.

Mark S said on February 3, 2006 5:42 PM

Andy,

I have spotted a couple more typos you might like to note in your sample chapter.

1. On page 134 you’ve transposed the r and e at the end of ‘centre’.

2. On page 149 you’ve spelled ‘grey’ with an a instead of an e.

Hope this helps.

Mark S.

Kenneth Fraser said on February 6, 2006 1:37 PM

Hi Andy,

The sample chapter was awesome and I’ve already pre-ordered a copy. You’re writing style is excellent and I love that the book just dives into advanced CSS.

A few of the tips you mentioned in layout design got me thinking over the weekend and I ended up finishing a 3 column layout that uses no hacks and works on a dump load of browsers without any issues.

I don’t even own the book and it has already paid itself off.

Thanks again,