And the Winners are … | February 14, 2006

Firstly I’d like to thank everybody who entered my big book give-away. I was bowled over by the number of entries, and picking a winner from the plethora of smart, funny and sometime quite scary comments was extremely difficult. However after much deliberation the first FREE copy of CSS Mastery has to go to Chris, for his straightforward yet funny wobbly table leg comment. Sometimes the best gags are the simplest (and oldest)!

I want a copy of CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions because … My desk is all wobbly and I need something to help prop it up.

The second FREE copy goes to Simon for the following whimsical and inventive comment.

I want a copy of CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions because … my websites have more tables than a furniture shop, more fonts than the church of England, and more styles than a walk in the country.

The runner up, who unfortunately wins nothing but a warm cosy glow for being singled out, goes to Boppyer for this smart and amusing comment.

<TD>, or <TD>: that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The <SPAN>’s and <TR>’s of outrageous fortune,
Or to take <DIV>’s against a sea of <TABLE>’s,
And by opposing end them?

And I think a special mention should go to Rhyddian Pugh for a very clever anagram. Props to you!

I want a copy of CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions because … <anagram>Bad and obsolescent code is a scary way - I’d want a fun, vast, super-css tome<anagram />

For all those who missed out on a FREE copy, I’ll be giving away a few freebies at SXSWi and @media 2006, or you could simply buy a copy from Amazon. If you grab a copy now, you’ll be in with a chance of wining an even better prize in the next couple of weeks. Keep you eyes glued to my RSS feed for details of this exciting new competition.

Posted at February 14, 2006 10:31 AM

Comments

Zach Inglis said on February 14, 2006 11:53 AM

Great answer those! Love the winning submission. Why do I have a feeling that’s going to be quoted?

trovster said on February 14, 2006 4:29 PM

Simon’s was far better than the common-old-garden winner IMO.

delicious:days said on February 15, 2006 7:54 AM

So many superb entries! ‘Wouldn’t have wanted to make that call. Oliver

Marko Mihelcic said on February 15, 2006 2:35 PM

A I’m ashamed that I didn’t see the earlyer so I could of gotten the book :) , heh I guess I must buy it then…bah :P

luxuryluke said on February 15, 2006 3:26 PM

Brilliant answers, love the anagram most!
book just arrived! (flickr)

Ryan Cavicchioni said on February 17, 2006 6:01 AM

My copy actually arrived today.

mark lloyd said on February 17, 2006 1:41 PM

congratulations to the winners

bob said on March 6, 2006 3:12 PM

Andy!!

I thought we already covered this topic…can you just get over yourself and get back to blogging about informative topics. Everyone who reads your blog (and even people that don’t) have great accomplishments of all types. You act like you’re Simon from American Idol, reviewing a list of potential winners. You co-wrote a book. Great! Why don’t you set up a seperate book site where you can carry on your self-important tone and material.

Andy Budd said on March 6, 2006 6:48 PM

Bob, you have to remember that this is a personal site rather than a tutorial repositry. Bob, you have to remember that my blog is a personal site, equivalent to a conversation down the pub with friends. Sometimes I may see an interesting article or technique I want to write about, while other times I may just want to talk about the latest movie or CD. At the moment I’ve just published a book which appears to be doing rather well, so that’s obviously at the forefront of my mind.

I try to keep the conversations mildly interesting to everybody around, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. If you’re not interested in the particular post, then don’t read it. If all your looking for is articles and CSS examples, then feel free to go elsewhere.

At the moment I’m getting the feeling that you’re the type of person who is only interested in a conversation if there is something in it for them, while never giving anything positive back in return. This is backed up by the fact that you always use an fake address and have rarely contributed positive comments to this site. As such, I’m slightly unsure why you feel that I should be beholden too you, but my suggestion would be to go elsewhere.