Take a Look Inside CSS Mastery | February 15, 2006

My book, CSS Mastery finally arrived today and I have to say that I’m over-the-moon with joy. It took around 8 months to write and there were times when I never thought I’d make it to this stage. But I have, and I can’t tell you what a relief it is.

I’m really pleased with how the book’s turned out. The cover design looks great, and the illustrations and screenshots have come together really well. If you haven’t already got your copy and would like to take a sneak peak inside, check out my CSS Mastery Flickr set.

inside cssmastery

I hope you enjoy the book and look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions and feedback. If you spot any typos, please drop me an email and I’ll make sure they are corrected. If you enjoy reading the book, please drop me a line or leave a comment below. Alternatively, please feel free to blog about the book or post up a review on Amazon

Posted at February 15, 2006 7:34 PM

Comments

Francis Storr said on February 15, 2006 8:10 PM

You convinced me to get a copy when we chatted at Jeremy’s Ajax training last week. It looks does look really good + I ordered my copy this morning. Now I just need Amazon to do the decent thing and deliver it post-haste!

Karl said on February 15, 2006 8:13 PM

Congratulations to everyone involved, Amazon say it will be shipping to me from Saturday but they’ve exceeded expectation on a number of occasions for me so fingers crossed. I’ll be sure to post a review but can make one suggestion now - the synopsis section of the Amazon page is really weak. I thought Amazon typically put the text from the back cover there?

jacob said on February 15, 2006 9:08 PM

When will this be available from Amazon in the U.S.?

jacob said on February 15, 2006 9:57 PM

Woops. Actually if you click on the ‘CSS Mastery’ link, and then click on the ‘Amazon’ link, you can find it. However, an hour or so ago, if you were simply at Amazon and did a search for the title, it was not resolving. Happily it is now… and my copy is ordered and on its way!

Kevin Tamura said on February 15, 2006 11:14 PM

Talk about serendipity: One of the developers I work with asked me about a CSS book since I can’t seem to shut up about it and that we are moving to a more web standards approach to our site. A quick walk over to Barnes and Noble and he was hooked.

Steve Ganz said on February 16, 2006 12:43 AM

Congratulations, Andy! I can’t believe I got my copy before you did. I am really looking forward to digging into it.

Kyle Jones said on February 16, 2006 1:22 AM

Definately buying this as soon as I can! Looks great :D

kirk said on February 16, 2006 3:24 AM

I just got my copy today. Looks good both inside and out. Good Job

Jonathan Snook said on February 16, 2006 3:37 AM

Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. :)

kartooner said on February 16, 2006 5:58 AM

Nice work. I really can’t wait to get my grubby hands on this. If only Amazon hadn’t messed up my book order.. tsk.. :P

Any chance I could get you to sign it in Austin, Andy? I’ll be at the Avalonstar Bowling shindig.

Ilkka Harmanen said on February 16, 2006 6:02 AM

Congrats Andy! Do you have an idea if it will be distributed in finland? Or should I order my personal copy from amazon too?-)

mark lloyd said on February 16, 2006 7:25 AM

looks awesome, if i can get hold of it in AUS then i’ll buy it :D

Mike Ward said on February 16, 2006 11:09 AM

Congrats Andy,

I had preordered mine from Amazon and actually got my copy on the 14th. I am looking forward to diving in.

Cheers,
Mike

Andy Budd said on February 16, 2006 12:32 PM

Hi Guys,

Glad you’re as excited about the book as I am. I’m more than happy to sign peoples books, and stuff. In fact, SXSW have organised an official book signing after my talk if you want to bring your copy along.

Agreed about the synopsis, especially on amazon.co.uk. I’ve been chasing them about this for ages, but they haven’t got round to updating it yet, which is a shame. Amazon seem to quite slow on these kind of things.

I’ve asked the publishers about international distribution. However they only print up a limited first run to see how it goes, and most of them will be reserved for the US and UK market. As such, your best bet would probably be to order a copy of Amazon and get it shipped internationally.

Malarkey said on February 16, 2006 2:38 PM

Looks great, you author type you ;)
Can’t wait for my copy to arrive.

mark lloyd said on February 17, 2006 1:36 PM

unfortunately it isnt practical for me to ship it to aus =( .. cries =(

josh said on February 17, 2006 2:20 PM

here’s you holding it on my flickr

Derek said on February 17, 2006 7:36 PM

Congrats and great job on the book. I just received my copy this morning (next day air) and am already enjoying your release.

Molly Holzschlag said on February 18, 2006 4:07 AM

Congratulations, Andy! :)

Dean said on February 18, 2006 8:29 AM

Congratz Andy, Just ordered a copy.
I’ve been let down by the term ‘Advanced’ many times in the past, lets hope this isn’t one of them.

Mark said on February 18, 2006 9:49 PM

Mine arrived today, and I can’t wait to dig into it. I’ve been let down by previous CSS books I’ve bought, so I hope this one’s worthwhile ;)

Allan Reyes said on February 19, 2006 3:39 PM

Congrats Andy! I can’t wait for my copy to arrive here in the Philippines. I too pre-ordered in Amazon and hope it will be here very soon…

Dave said on February 19, 2006 11:11 PM

Ah congrats! Ordered my copy gotta wait till mid march to get my hands on it though

Alun Rowe said on February 20, 2006 12:47 PM

Ordered mine from Amazon UK ages ago and then today they changed the delivery date to March sometime.

So I quickly went to www.computerbooks.co.uk and I’ll have a copy in days…

…Bad Amazon!

Jerf said on February 20, 2006 3:21 PM

OK you sold me on it! On my way to Amazon.

I hope its the one I have been looking for.

Kerwyn Wilson said on February 21, 2006 5:20 PM

Well done Andy! I’m new to web design and I’ve been looking for various resources pertaining to CSS design. I’m definitely going to buy this book.

Nick Fitzsimons said on February 22, 2006 6:29 PM

My copy arrived today, and I’m looking forward to the weekend when I might actually have time to settle down and go through it properly.

In the meantime, I’m not sure if this is a typo or not, but on page 184, halfway down, you have:

“Luckily, IE 7 promises to be a much more complaint browser”

Judging by some of the traffic on CSS Discuss recently, this may have been corrected and then marked “stet” by the proofreader…

Craig Snyder said on February 22, 2006 6:37 PM

Got my copy today (via Amazon, took almost 3 weeks!) and will sit down tonight and check it out. Looks promising, and I’ve heard good things…

-congrats

Karl said on February 22, 2006 7:48 PM

Hi Andy, I posted a review on my blog just a while ago and the same will appear on Amazon.co.uk in due time.

Thanks to you, Simon and Cameron for a great book :)

Hula said on February 23, 2006 2:19 AM

The book arrived yesterday and I’ve already read half of it and am having a hard time putting it down. Sounds more like a Da Vinci Code review than a design code book! But the writing is invitingly clear and the content is simply superb!

Just what the doctor orderd to pull standards-based design together and answer all those pesky questions one is usually left hanging with.

Cheers!
Hula

Cooper said on February 23, 2006 3:16 AM

It looks awesome, I’m definately gonna pick up a copy :).

Richard Stephenson said on February 23, 2006 1:17 PM

My copy’s finally arrived. Excellent work Andy. I’m trying hard to keep it for myself but the office vultures are circling…..

trovster said on February 23, 2006 2:01 PM

My copy of this and Bulletproof Web Design has just arrived.

AJP said on February 24, 2006 2:52 PM

I love the book so far, and I’ve only read the intro and chapter 1. And the same goes for Blog design solutions. They’re both fantastic so far. Nice work!

Chris said on February 24, 2006 6:01 PM

Hey, just assigned this book as the only text for my web design class at the Corcoran College of Art & Design. So far everyone’s really found it useful, applicable, and relevant…well done!

’Mas said on February 24, 2006 7:36 PM

Just got mine on Tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cleared up many misunderstandings I’ve been struggling under. I know this will improve things for future projects and the many re-dos in my future. That’s my 2¢. :^{>

John Hart said on February 25, 2006 5:55 AM

My copy arrived today. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I am currently reading another CSS book and I have Bulletproof waiting in the wings.

farrelley said on February 26, 2006 3:37 AM

Just ran out to the local Barnes and Nobles in the U.S. to pick up my copy. Also picked up a copy of that Naked Converstations book. At least you have a bigger ego that Scoble!

Leopold Porkstacker said on March 2, 2006 6:14 PM

I just bought your book yesterday (CSS Mastery) and am glad I did, as it is EXCELLENT!! I’ve just sort of skimmed through a few chapters so far but will venture to read it from start to finish. Great stuff!!

-he who stacks pork

Andy said on March 6, 2006 12:05 PM

Arrived this morning - how am I supposed to get any work done today!
Good solid advice, with browser bugs and fixes well explained. I’ll definitely be employing some of these techniques.

Jake Rutter said on March 8, 2006 10:10 PM

Hi there. After reading all the comments, I just ordered one of your books from Amazon. Im very excited to get my hands on this book.