Superhero Presentation Notes | March 14, 2006

This is just a quick post to let people know the location of our How to Be a Web Design Superhero slides from SXSWi. You can download the notes in pdf format at www.andybudd.com/sxsw06/super.pdf (5.9MB). The slides are resonably informative, but for more info, check out the presentation notes over at Muffin Research.

superzeld

Posted at March 14, 2006 4:52 PM

Comments

Ara Pehlivanian said on March 14, 2006 6:27 PM

Sweet presentation. You forgot to mention that every superhero has a weakness such as Superman’s Kryptonite. :-)

Chris Kavinsky said on March 15, 2006 3:00 AM

Definitely the most entertaining of all the panels I went to, and very informative. You Brits know how to put on a good show. But you need more books.

luxuryluke said on March 15, 2006 7:35 PM

Awesome, Andy.
Nice work.

Ian Adams said on March 15, 2006 8:18 PM

That must’ve been a hell of a presentation. Just reading the slides, without there being an actual presenter, was still enough to keep me engaged.

Good job! :)

Dustin Askins said on March 16, 2006 5:53 AM

One slide #12 the wallpaper on the monitor says, “You can’t design without type*.”

I was interested in the full version of that wallpaper. Is it yours or Clarkes? Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks. :)

Laura Zucchetti said on March 16, 2006 1:33 PM

Wish I could have been there…

And as I said on stuffandnonsense… The women in web are here !

Gordon said on March 16, 2006 3:25 PM

OK enough. I’m still getting through CSS Mastery and now you distract me with one of THE sweetest presentations I’ve ever seen. Great idea, and an excellent execution.

Damn I’ve got to get me to SXSW next year!! (or even @media!)

Craig Pickering said on March 17, 2006 2:28 AM

Nice job.

Dustin, the wallpaper is from Veer. I’ve been using the same one myself for a few months now.

Su said on March 17, 2006 2:34 AM

Vaguerism is not a word. But it’s my new favorite word.

mark lloyd said on March 17, 2006 12:43 PM

who got the books for dressign up like a superhero? and you got any pics.. i rekon it’d be funny :)

Bernd said on March 17, 2006 3:17 PM

Great presentation! The comparsion is really interesting considering a webdesigner’s daily work from another point of view.
Sadly, I had no time to visit this year’s SXSW. I hope that I will be able to see my heros in the next year.
So lets go on fighting for a better web.

Lorissa said on March 17, 2006 8:16 PM

Sadly, I couldn’t attend SxSW, so thanks for sharing the slides. Great stuff! I’m betting your presentation was very well received. I was especially chuffed to see both Molly and Veerle getting a mention. I definitely need to make it next year, or if I can pull the funds together - @media. Hopefully other superhero women will start getting noticed!

Joshua Steimle said on March 17, 2006 8:16 PM

I enjoyed the presentation. Just one comment about getting clients to not request pages and pages of content that nobody reads. While it is true that 99% of clients who want to create lots of pages want these pages for the wrong reasons, having lots of pages on a website can bring (“can bring”, not necessarily “will bring”) substantial benefits when it comes to search engine optimization, even if no human being is ever going to read those pages.

I suppose the ability to produce well-architected, well-designed, and user-friendly websites that are concise and clear while tucking extra content where it can’t hurt anyone but helps with SEO efforts might be another superpower.

Clifton Labrum said on March 24, 2006 12:18 AM

Nice work, Andy (as always). You could show that to elementary school kids and keep their attention. That’s proof of good design. :)

I’m curious to see what you think of this, as it’s a very common thing on the web, and is right here in this comments box.

Take care.

cynthusia said on March 27, 2006 6:17 PM

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Andy. I will repeat what i said here for all to see: The Superhero panel/presentation was a definite highlight of the entire SXSWi experience. i laughed, i cried…it was delightful.

[so you can put a face with the URL, i spoke with you briefly at the book signing table with my friend; you were convinced you knew him via his blog, and he never really believed you (!) ]

best,
Cindy [tampa.fl]

Chris said on March 28, 2006 8:57 AM

Hi Andy
Amazing presentation.

Alex Ross pictures are amazing too. I took a look at the website but i couldnt find the pics that you used in the slides. Where exactly did you find them?

cheers,