Podcast Recommendations | April 9, 2006

I’ve been listening to more podcasts of late, mostly while traveling or at the gym. The two podcasts I listen to the most are Diggnation and Mark Kermode’s Film Reviews. I really like hearing Marks thoughts about the latest movies while Diggnation is very funny in a geek Animal House kind of way. I listened to the Ricky Gervais podcast a few times, but couldn’t quite manage to get into it. It was funny, but after a while it started to get a little repetitive. I occasionally listen to the Web 2.0 Show, although the quality of the audio bugs me, and This Week in Tech is worth dipping into every now and then. Apart from that, I mostly listed to event podcasts such as those from SXSW. There are bunch of other podcasts I’ve tried, but none have kept my attention for long.

I started using Odeo as a way of discovering new podcasts – mostly by seeing what my friends were listening to. However I didn’t like the fact that you’d end up with one giant feed, so switched back to using the iTunes music store. I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of the iTunes music store, as it doesn’t support my preferred browsing behavior, but it will have to do until I find something better.

In the meantime, I’d be interested in getting your recommendations and finding out what podcasts your listening to at the moment and why.

Posted at April 9, 2006 9:37 PM

Comments

Jan Brasna said on April 9, 2006 10:56 PM

I’m using http://talkr.com/ most of the time to get spoken versions of some of the spots I’d read anyways. Not bad actually.

Adam Schilling said on April 9, 2006 10:59 PM

I’ve been listening to Michael’s Binary Bonsai podcast of late. I must admit, I haven’t really looked for other podcasts - tho’ it is something I am more and more interested in doing.

Dan said on April 9, 2006 11:05 PM

If you are into photography, the Radiant Vista has a good podcast along with several video podcast that are very worthwile.

Media Artists Secrets is a good one about progressing in a creative field.

TikiBar TV. Booze, dancing girl, humor.

Ask A Ninja. A funny Q&A with a Ninja. ‘nuff said.

Paul Annett said on April 9, 2006 11:05 PM

I’ve only ever listened to a few podcasts, that is a couple ‘rough guide’ -style travel podcasts, and a few minutes of Gervais’ podcast. You may prefer his Xfm radio show which was in the Saturday afternoon slot now occupied by Adam & Joe. It’s a good mix of music and humour, and may return nearer Christmas, apparently (tune in online or via DAB). I’ve also downloaded some podcasts from the Carson Summit (yet to listen to them)…

rabble said on April 10, 2006 12:55 AM

Odeo does generate an opml feed which you can use of all of your subscriptions. You can get a list of all and subscribe directly in itunes for each feed. I know it’s not as easy, but it does let you download each podcast seperately.

ralph said on April 10, 2006 1:12 AM

One of the most interesting podcasts I’ve found is also about photography, the podcasts by Brooks Jensen of LensWork magazine. But it would be incorrect to say they’re just about photography; Jensen uses photography as a platform to muse about the nature of creativity and the reasons we create art. One of the best things about them is that they’re generally only about 3 or 4 minutes each, a nice concentrated blast of well-considered commentary rather than the rambling discourses so common in other podcasts. I can always make time to listen to Jensen; I can’t always make time to listen to some of the longer podcasts I attempt to subscribe to.

I’m also quite fond of the weekly hour long podcasts of CBC Radio 3 in Canada. Who knew that there was so much interesting pod-safe music from Canada?

Dominic Mitchell said on April 10, 2006 7:46 AM

I’ve been turned on to a couple of podcasts:

1. It’s mostly technical web stuff, but I find the (somwhat irregular) podcasts from http://ajaxian.com/podcast/ to be interesting. All about what’s happening with Ajax. Probably more for Jeremy than you though.
  2. I love the stories on the BBC’s “From Our Own Correspondent”. I’m also starting on “The Now Show” now it’s back on air. Good to see the license fee being useful! More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/help/podcasting.shtml

Mark said on April 10, 2006 7:48 AM

Yes! Please more of that. I really love the idea of podcasts, but good ones are really rare.

As for me: Slate’s daily casts are more often good than not. Then there is the RubyOnRails-Podcast I subscribed because I wanted to check out RoR which it does not help, but it intruduces to the community and it often features Cake’s “Comfort Eagle” as a title song which I really love (and which does make sense because you can not deny at least some religiousness about the RoR-community ;) ).

Last not least a very different one: the Alan Watt’s podcast featuring lectures and discussions about philosophy. Funny, enlightning and sometimes a bit hippie-ish. I would LOVE to have more podcasts in this vein. Like recordings of Heinz von Foerster or reading-sessions by other authors.

Jason Jang said on April 10, 2006 8:19 AM

I second the CBC Radio 3 Podcast (which comes in .ogg too!)

Hour long weekly programming with all the latest and greatest Canadian rock, hip hop, and electronic music.

And no, they don’t play any Celine, Shania, or Bryan Adams, on here. Canadian music these days is so much more.

They’ve also got lots of awesome live recordings you can stream. Latest from Kaiser cheifs.

Matt said on April 10, 2006 9:54 AM

I’d recommend KCRW’s Morning Becomes Eclectic and Music Exchange podcasts.

Paul Annett said on April 10, 2006 9:58 AM

Although it’s not a podcast (it might as well be, the visuals often aren’t that inspiring), Google’s guest authors series are worth a look. But I don’t think I’m in the minority in NOT listening to many podcasts - apparently “Nobody Actually Listens to Podcasts” anyway.

Si said on April 10, 2006 10:31 AM

It may seem a little vain but I normally listen to my own podcasts. I’ve tried out a few different “technical” podcasts but they’re just not entertaining enough. If I’ve got my headphones on, I’m expecting something to enjoy listening to, primarily music. I don’t know what is so motivational for a gym such as a discussion about Web Standards?

James Mitchell said on April 10, 2006 12:31 PM

I too have started listening to more and more podcasts. One of the most helpful is actually a podcast with video from PhotoshopTV.

They give tips, news, and the like. The best part is even if you know quite a bit about Photoshop, sometimes you learn a fresh way to do something. I found it worth adding to my list.

Andy Field said on April 10, 2006 12:35 PM

The guys over at Headscape do a good podcast (http://www.boagworld.com). Aimed at a slightly less technical audience but worth listening too anyway even if it’s just for the occassional gaffe (grammars in the most recent one on accessibility ;)(

Josh Owens said on April 10, 2006 1:18 PM

Andy,

Thanks for listening to the web 2.0 show! It was awesome to meet you @ SXSW this year.

You should give us a listen again and see what you think of the quality. We have a professional sound engineer tweaking the quality for us now.

Thanks again for listening.

—Josh

Dale Cruse said on April 10, 2006 2:34 PM

I really enjoy Coverville and Harry Shearer’s Le Show.

James AkaXakA said on April 10, 2006 4:39 PM

Another vote for the Binary Bonsai Podcast :)

Jan Korbel said on April 10, 2006 4:58 PM

No one mentioned IT Conversations so that would be my five cents and definitely Venture Voice.

Paul Boag said on April 10, 2006 6:06 PM

O! Andy. I read that! Gaffs indeed. I put them in on purpose to keep you listening :) Er… or something like that. I challenge anybody to do a podcast for 30 weeks without making a few “errors” lol

Garrett said on April 11, 2006 12:24 AM

I’ll second the vote for “From Our Own Correspondent”, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Radio 4’s “In Our Time” yet.

Each week Melvyn Bragg chairs a discussion with a panel of experts on subjects as varied as Catherine The Great, Asteroids and Meteors, Cultural Imperialism etc. If you don’t like the subject one week you’re sure to find something in next weeks. Another top class use of the Licence Fee.

You can grab them via the BBC site, or they turn up on odeo pretty soon after broadcast.

Dustin Diaz said on April 11, 2006 12:27 AM

Andy,
But of course, you should be listening to my podcast ;)

As far as audio quality and production errors. I say posh. None of us developers are real professional podcasters anyway. By no means am I professional at what I do in that regards, but it’s the quality of the content within them that counts. Sure I have cheesy background music and I can’t ever seem to get the voice tracks to sound great… The fact of the matter is, most of us who are doing tech podcasts are brand new to this audio thing. So I take no offense if someone tells me my podcast is crap. I have fun doing it, and people are listening :)

testMonkey said on April 11, 2006 4:25 AM

I’ve happened upon the “Make:” podcast. Quick video and audio that ranges from detailed to abstract. Bre is a bit much with the whole hands thing he does, but still worth the subscribe on my office machine.

Robert Castelo said on April 11, 2006 1:09 PM

I’m completely addicted to Benjamen Walker’s Theory Of Everything. Very difficult to describe exactly what it’s about, each episode is completely different - everything from Philip K. Dick to an on-line dating service for people with STDs.

Highly recommended.

philroy said on April 11, 2006 2:24 PM

I’m coming to the game a couple of days late, but here’s what I listen to on a regular basis:
* The Dave Ramsey Show - Financial advice radio show on beating debt and building wealth
* The MacCast - For Mac Geeks, By Mac Geeks
Being a fairly recent “switcher” this on is invaluable to me.
* The Bored-Again Christian - Boring Christian music
* ROCKCAST - This Is The Rock!
Eclectic mix of rock music of all genres. Comes in 2 20-minute sets Monday - Friday. This is what I work out to.
* Talking Metal - Fairly decent music and news podcast covering hard rock and heavy metal

I also listen to these Mac-related poscasts fairly regularly:

But then again no one actually listens to podcasts do they?!? I guess I’m just weird.

Ian Clay said on April 13, 2006 1:48 AM

Cotolo Chronicles
The internet’s best kept secret, Frank Cotolo.
He’s been ‘podcasting’ since 1967.
WAKE UP! ITS NIGHT!

(andy, email me… the guy that runs cdbaby.com wants to get in touch with you about something)

nick fox said on April 13, 2006 7:49 PM

I can’t belive NewScientist.com has not got a mention! I’ve listend to many of the podcasts listed above and have found the majority to be very imature for their content type. newscientist’ Scipod is structured, clear and well composed. there are no ums, ahhs, or pauses and is almost identicle to a normal radio broadcast. all points that most podcasters dont seem to grasp, including MacCast. It’s almost common knowledge that people scan web pages for the content that they want, the rules are no different if that information is in audio format. podcasters seem to completly ignore all that we have learnt about accessability. im not going to sit through 30-60 minutes of audio to find out that there was’nt anything interesting discussed anyway. Keep it short, and tell people all the topics discussed at the start. After all isn’t a podcast just another blog through a screen reader?

Christian Watson said on April 14, 2006 10:39 PM

I wrote a post on this very subject, where I list my top 5 podcasts: http://www.smileycat.com/miaow/archives/000185.html

If you do nothing else, please give Cinecast (http://www.cinecastshow.com/) a try - it is an excellent show with superb production values.

I also recommend the Bill Maher show - very irreverent and funny (http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/downloads/)

Just Pete said on April 18, 2006 8:54 PM

Hey, who are you calling “boring”??

Ridiculous.