The Last Superhero | November 29, 2006

This is just a quick note to thank everybody who came along to my How to be a Web Design Superhero presentation at Refresh 06 a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the session didn’t end up being recorded, but you can grab a copy of the slides if you’d like. I’ve given the talk a few times now, so if you’re interested you could always listen to the podcasts from SXSW06 or Web Master Jam.

The talk was originally written by myself and Andy Clarke as a light-hearted introduction to SXSW06. It was intended as a one-off talk but both myself and Malarkey have ended up giving it at several other events around the globe. However with the year nearing an end and SXSW07 around the corner, I think it’s time to put my superhero costume back in the closet and start working on next years presentation. Entitled, How to Bluff Your Way in Web 2.0, Jeremy Keith and myself will be teaching you everything you need to know in order to flip your latest hair brained idea for a ridiculous sum of money.

I know it’s a long way off, but if you haven’t already got your SXSW accommodation sorted, you’d better hurry. All the cool hotels have already sold out, and you don’t want to end up in the Hilton, now do you?

Posted at November 29, 2006 10:25 PM

Comments

gleddy said on November 29, 2006 11:45 PM

We all know the Hampton is the spot to be :-)

Looks like some great panels lined up this year already! Really looking forward to it this year.

Patrick Haney said on November 30, 2006 12:20 AM

No, you most definitely do not want to be at the Hilton. Unless of course you like $10/day wired internet that is as slow dial-up, no free happy hour and higher prices. Lesson learned last year.

I’ll be at the Hampton too, enjoying a nice (free) beer after the day’s presentations.

Nate K said on November 30, 2006 2:06 AM

Andy,
Thanks for sharing your slides from the Refresh06. I was unable to attend, but got up to the minute updates from Jina.

I initially didnt know what to expect with the ‘web design superhero’ title. After going through your slides, I wish I could have seen the presentation in person. So many things that encompass what a web developer does and you articulated each of them very well.

leisa.reichelt said on November 30, 2006 9:30 AM

aw man… I knew I should have checked which ones are the cool hotels! ;)

Justin said on November 30, 2006 3:07 PM

What about the music that you played at the beginning of the presentation? That was fun and really made it exciting. Can you post that for download too?

Max Manders said on November 30, 2006 3:31 PM

Thanks for putting the slides up. I may not have been able to see the presentation but reading the slides convinces me that it would have been great. Keep up the good work!

Alawn.Z said on December 4, 2006 8:42 AM

哈哈,我是?自中国的设计师,欣?你的风格.

Joachim said on December 4, 2006 11:27 AM

How to Bluff Your Way in Web 2.0 sounds really funny! Thanks a a lot :-)

nathan said on December 4, 2006 5:06 PM

So regarding those super hero slides (well the first half anyway)…

What about the thousands of shit hot developers and designers sat in the bigger agencies and consultancies that are too busy actually doing stuff not to have the time to incessantly tell everyone else about it. I know ‘junior developers’ that have professional portfolios that frankly shit on the likes of Jeffrey Zeldman etc etc, are they not super hero’s too?