5 Things You Didn't Know About Me | July 1, 2007

1. I can eat and breathe fire
  2. I was flying planes solo before I was old enough to drive
  3. I’ve dived on an active, underwater volcano
  4. I lived in a tent for a whole summer while surfing in Devon
  5. I helped set up a dive shop in Thailand when I was 27

Posted at July 1, 2007 5:10 PM

Comments

Scott O'Raw said on July 1, 2007 6:20 PM

Well that’s probably the most surreal post we’ve had from you in a while Andy. But I liked it. Thanks for sharing :D

Rob said on July 1, 2007 6:23 PM

“I was flying planes solo before I was old enough to drive”

Crazy!

Erin said on July 1, 2007 8:31 PM

Where in Devon were you surfing?
I’m guessing it was on the North Coast, I grew up on the edge of South Dartmoor.

Andy Budd said on July 1, 2007 10:25 PM

Croyde

Ivan said on July 2, 2007 8:22 AM

Andy, some nice insider knowledge mate, like it. I used to go to Croyde every year and surf, what a lovely place must go back one day and the lovely beach at Saunton.

Ray said on July 2, 2007 9:31 AM

Whats the dive shop name and where was it ?.

Have you any tips on building websites for dive shops as I am currently in Thailand trying to make a living doing just that.

Keep up the good work blogging, sites like yours are a good source of information for people like me living in the back of beyond.

Simon said on July 2, 2007 12:47 PM

Wow, didn’t this go round the web about a year ago? How full is your inbox? :-)

anon coward said on July 2, 2007 2:13 PM

show-off!

Ian said on July 3, 2007 2:07 AM

… and then you became a web monkey! Have you seen the light ol’ bud? grab your sleepin’ bag and hitch out into the wilds, sleep under the stars. The web is dead, long live life!*

*who wears sandals? not me!

Andy Budd said on July 3, 2007 10:59 PM

@Ivan: When it’s off-shore, Braunton has the best breaks

@ray: Scuba Hut on Phi-phi long beach. Now called Long Beach Divers

@simon: Full :-)

@anon coward: yep. And?

@Ian: Tempted. Fiji is calling me at the moment :-)

Dat Nguyen said on July 4, 2007 8:55 AM

Wow! That’s a pretty awesome list—it makes the stuff in your second column look stale! Thanks for sharing, it’s inspiring to hear about the weird stuff life is really all about.

Michael Montgomery said on July 9, 2007 6:38 PM

Exciting stuff. A fellow pilot and diver here, but took twice as long. (No volcanoes yet, and the rest—wow.)

jack black said on July 12, 2007 10:58 PM

5 things most of WISH we never knew about you:

1. How self involved you are
2. That you helped write a book
3. How many conferences you attend
4. That you think web design is all about standards
5. That you have a blog

Sincerely,
not-a-fan

Patrick said on July 17, 2007 3:45 PM

That’s a nice attitude, Jack Black. After all, you did come to Andy’s personal site, so why on earth would you expect to read about Andy’s personal opinions, accomplishments and speaking engagements?

You were good in School of Rock though, I will give you that.

Mart said on July 30, 2007 3:18 PM

I love that post from Jack Black [I’m guessing not the one from Tenacious D]. Point 5 is genius, in a list of 5 things he assumes that most of us wish we didn’t know about you is: 5. That you have a blog. And he spends his time reading it, a level of self loathing that is joyous to see. Unless I misunderstand that he is under some compulsive duress to read your blog? Is he your editorial gimp Andy?

Anyway, you seem to have some cool past times. My friend Amy Newton’s dad owns the surf shop in Croyde, lovely spot although my favourite is Gwythian [St Ives bay].